Locating machines without using charity

El Shoshonee

I've read a lot on the forums and the internet and it seems like most people use charity in their sales pitch. Saying how they work with certain charity and how a portion of the proceeds goes to benefit said charity. That's fine and there's nothing wrong with that. But to me, it sounds a little dis-genuine and little half-truthed.

I would rather offer the location a commission and tell them they could, if they so wanted to, donate to a charity of their choice. One that resonates with a cause they truly or deeply believe in. I also think this sales pitch of coming in with a set charity sticker is trying to be a "One-size-fits-all" solution. I'd prefer to be upfront and honest with my intentions and sell them on all the positives of having a bulk candy vending machines in place, (a free service, they don't have to do anything, passive income, sell myself, my story and personality to them).

I haven't started in this business, but from the research I've done, I don't think I could go in with "Hey, I represent "XYZ" charity.

Are most of your successful locations through this charity approach? Compared to just offering a commission (im thinking 10-20%) and not going in with a charity angle?

You have the right idea. All of my locations are candy and most of my locations do not warrant a commission. I prefer to use the charity because of this reason...why have 100 locations on charity and 50+ on commission? That is just more #'s to keep track of. The way I see it, the charity I use is getting $$$ every single month than if I wasn't a part of it. It would probably be a different story if I was using all toys... If you are going for bulk candy only, make it easy on yourself and just use a charity. I have found the NCCS to be very helpful and a National program that people recognize as it doesn't require a lot of selling. My local locators have our pitch down to 1 sentence. Quick. Simple. Clean. Plus there is no haggling back and forth "I'll give you 15% commission" "No way, I want 95%..." You get the idea. I am sure everyone has their own opinion. Try not to get too caught up in the details, just buy some used equipment really cheap, locate the equipment, rinse and repeat.

Archived