Bay leaves / ants

davidsurvz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting a little nervous about this also.  I am going away for the week end.  Starting Monday I will begin spraying.  Its really been very cool around here with the exception of the past week on and off.

Well, I had some ants at my Mr. Tire location.  I didn't start spraying soon enough.  I walked in, grabbed the quarters and ran (to walmart that is), to buy some ant spray, and "ant feeders".  The ants didn't make it into the candy thank God.  I went back to all of my locations, placed a "feeder" under them, and sprayed the bases of all machines. 

The "Raid ant and Roach killer" is OK to spray on the bases of my triples right?  It won't contaminate the candy will it?  I'm a little worried.

Benjie, believe me, you'll know.  They will not hide in the machine, there will be a trail of ants to and from it.  If you have not sprayed yet, do it ASAP, or you will lose a lot of product.  Not trying to scare you, just trying to help.  I waited till last minute thinking I would be OK, and I was wrong.  I got lucky. 

O.K. Guys,

I'm a former PCO (Pest Control Operator), and here is some advice about ants.

1. If you use baits NEVER spray the base. The odor will absorb in the bait and it will be useless. It doesn't matter if the spray is a low odor or a no odor or even a scented spray.

2. If you want to use baits, use them before you see ants, like now. I like Max Force.

3. Always inform the owner what you are using especially restaurants.

4. Someone in the vending biz told me to use grease under the neck of the machine head. He said that ants won't cross it. As a professional PCO, that was a first time I ever heard that, but it sounds like it would work.

Bryan

I'm dot sure exactly what you mean. I am spraying the base of the stand at the floor. I spray outside and the very low order spray dries before I bring it inside. The spray is, in no way, close to the candy. I am not using any sort of bait.

Aren't there ants that like grease?

Just let me know if I am doing the right thing and if it is safe.

Thanks

Gary

Candy machines dispense food products; therefore, they fall under the same rules/laws as a restaurant (food handling establishment), so read the label carefully on your choice of pesticides. My advice is to use baits, such as Max Force type, enclosed in a plastic cover. Oh yea! When you clean your machines before placing, ALWAYS use dish liquid. The best is Ivory. This is a proven deterrent to pests.

Bryan

So far I have been fortunate to have no ant problems. I took some bay leaves with me when I went to service my route Sat. and then forgot I had them with me. I am going to place some in the bases of my machines and also use the clear double stick tape on the stand hopefully that will suffice.

I am not sure what ' baits are ' gang.  And where to put them.  Underneath the base?

I was gonna spray the bases of my machines and put bay leaves in the coin area. 

T-Bird

Baits are something the pest eats or takes back to the colony for all to eat. Baits are usually enclosed in a cardboard or a plastic cover with an opening for the pest to enter. They have a sticky side to allow for easy locating. I would place it on the wall behind my machine or on the bottom of the stand. Sprays might deter the ants, but any Pest control man will tell you they don't officially work on ants. Baits last for months. Hope this helps.

Bryan

Ok,

Just curious about the baits........ If memory serves they usually attract a trail of ants while they "take the bait" don't they?:huh: I would be worried that if they found the bait and were "attacking" it that would have a trail of ants coming right to your machine.

I'm not saying for sure that is the case but I remember ants attacking baits in trails.......:huh:?

Either way T-Bird as long as the ants can get to it.

Bryan

I appreciate the help Bryan.  I found an ant bait system.http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/maxforce-ant-bait-stations-p-38.html

Bryan.......Should I place one of these bait stations on each machine  Bryan as a line of defense just in case I do get ants or are these bait stations only used once you do have a problem with ants?

There's no real guarentee anything will work, sprays or baits. The main reason I push baits is because they are safer.

Responding to Dave's comment. The answer is yes. Baits do attract ants, but only if their in that area already. In most cases, ants will zero in on a food source until it is gone, so if ants are eating your bait, they will more than likely die and kill the colony before they take your profits. I know it doesn't make sense, but that is the way it is.

Bryan

I just want to pass on what I did over the week end as I serviced 9 locations.  I placed a piece of plastic runner under the base of each machine.  I thoroughly sprayed the plastic runner and then simply set the machine onto it.  It serves two purposes:  Protects the floor of the location from rust and stuff and also being sprayed hopefully provides a deterrant from ants attacking my candy. I was not thrilled with spraying this bug stuff onto my machine or base so thats why I opted for this way of doing it.