Gumball: interactive or not?

VendingExperts

1. I was just wondering do gumball machines like Northwestern sports challenge, shooting hoops, Victor Zipper, etc. necessarily make more than a plain NW 60 with gumballs in the same location?

2. How reliable are the Victor Zipper machines? And what are they worth in good shape?

I have heard the shootin hoops do great but, I can't say from personal experience. I can say that I have 2 gum ball pinball machines and they do very well...highest ROI I have seen in bullk vending...along with the scales because there is no product to stock!

I like the interactives also they can do well in the right place. Just watch the cost. With that in mind most interactives average for me maybe $60 a month and pretty steady.

Thanks for the input. My company is growing exponentially and I am again looking for another machine. I was thinking about a single head gum, or a double head; gum and a candy. But the interactive machines are very intriguing to me.

Northwestern called me back after they said that they didn't have anymore, and told me that they do have basketball, hockey, and soccer.

I was thinking a basketball with orange gumballs would be good.

Based on my prior postings, it is no secret that the Shootin Hoops in my favorite interactive machine.  Been using them for about 9 years now and have about 30 (1st generation) of them on location.  Its been a great consistent work horse machine.  I like that they are based on (non biz-op) very reliable Beaver parts, with the mech, hopper, wheel, globe, lid and lock all being Beaver.  I have NEVER had one break due to "normal" use.  Only vandalism and cardboard coin slugs have caused a machine to go down.  Due to the variety of my locations, the monthly numbers range from $15 to $100.  But generally speaking, I have found that interactive machines can do double or triple the volume that a "standard" gumball machine on a stand or rack will do.  Many times, gumballs and superballs get "lost" in the rack or in the maze of other biz-op competitors and just becomes another "ho-hum" product.  The interactive machine can bring those "lost" gumballs and superballs back to life.  Heck, I have one location where the hoops does the same volume as a 4 way rack.

I know a guy that has about 30 Sport Blaster Pinball machines.  I also have 4 baseball machines from Best Vending.  Picked them up used at an auction for $30 (in very rough condition) and paid $150 to have them blasted and repainted.  But these machines are larger, heavier and take up more space.  And honestly, I have found that the larger footprint interactive machine make about the same money as the smaller footprint Shootin Hoops.  The other vendor shared his pinball numbers with me and they are very similar to my hoops.

Unfortunately, the hoops in no longer being produced.  And the brand-new cost of the larger interactive machines are through the roof IMO.  I do see some deals on used pinball or baseball machines for under $200.  As always, watch your cost on this stuff, I would not pay over $200 for a used interactive machine.

But for me, Shootinh Hoops is king and I will continue to place them until I can no longer find them.  And if you see a hoops for under $150, it's best to jump on it before someone else does.

1. I was just wondering do gumball machines like Northwestern sports challenge, shooting hoops, Victor Zipper, etc. necessarily make more than a plain NW 60 with gumballs in the same location?

2. How reliable are the Victor Zipper machines? And what are they worth in good shape?

I have one zipper and it's sitting in a shed because I got tired of service calls from it.  I do like interactive gumball machines.

I have one zipper and it's sitting in a shed because I got tired of service calls from it.  I do like interactive gumball machines.

You need some hoops, Tbuford, to cut down on those service calls!

Jax is correct, Hoops are a workhorse. Only problem I have ever had is one broken flipper (whatever its called). I keep a extra machine in shop for parts donor, just in case.

I have never had the lever (or flipper) break under normal use.  Only twice when vandals and thieves broke into it.

But I must correct myself a bit on the service calls.  Just though of this.  Sometimes a nickel will drop through the mech (as designed) and then lay on the "ledge" below the mech rather than dropping into the coin box and cause a mech jam.  But that has only happened 4 or 5 times in 9 years.

IN MY OPINION the northwestern hoops machine is too big. IN MY EXPERIENCE the zipper is flawed, the thing is a mess and designed wrong, so it breaks a lot and IN MY OPINION the shooting hoops with the beaver head is the best all around made. The interactive machine FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN will always do $50-$100 in a decent sport and USUALLY give you a fast ROI, especially if you only buy them for $300 or less each.

IN MY OPINION the northwestern hoops machine is too big. IN MY EXPERIENCE the zipper is flawed, the thing is a mess and designed wrong, so it breaks a lot and IN MY OPINION the shooting hoops with the beaver head is the best all around made. The interactive machine FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN will always do $50-$100 in a decent sport and USUALLY give you a fast ROI, especially if you only buy them for $300 or less each.

Yea man, I with you on this.  The NW hoops is too big.  The Shootin Hoops (with the Beaver parts) is king in the interactive category in terms of volume generated, ROI and small space requirements.

Which hoops is still being manufactured? 

shooting hoops with beaver parts?

NW hoops?

or others?

I usuially don't find many used machines of any kind in my area.

Archived