Good posts tonight

davidsurvz

Hey guys,

We went to the movies a couple of weeks ago. (Bourne Ultimatum) Good Movie!! We were in the mall and someone has a ton of machines there. We noticed a choking hazard sticker on the machine. I personally think this is a good idea. Does anyone use these? Does anyone know where to get them? Any thoughts about using them (good or bad):huh:

Thanks!

I looked at the post regarding liability insurance..... I think it is a great idea. I think the stickers run along the same lines as the liability ins.........

Here is some good info pertaining to choking hazards. Labels are required by law and are available from A&A Global.

Steve

Choking Hazards

Regulatory History

In 1979, the CPSC banned the sale of toys containing small parts if they were intended for use by children under the age of three, regardless of age labeling. A small part was defined as anything that fit inside a choke test cylinder, which has an interior diameter of 1.25 inches and a slanted bottom with a depth ranging from 1 to 2.25 inches. If any part of the product - including any parts that separate during use and abuse testing - fits inside the test tube, the product is a choking hazard and is banned for children under the age of three. In 1994, Congress passed PIRG's priority child safety proposal, the Child Safety Protection Act (CSPA). The CSPA required choke hazard labels on toys, balloons and marbles intended for children under six if they contained banned small parts and increased the size of the small ball test from 1.25 inches to 1.75 inches.

Requirements of the Child Safety Protection Act

The CSPA mandated the following warning labels on the following categories of products:

Small Parts: The CSPA requires that toys intended for children between the ages of three and six years old that contain small parts include the following explicit choke hazard warning:

Posted ImageWarning: CHOKING HAZARD -Small Parts. Not for Children Under 3 yrs.

Toys that have play value for children under three - i.e., have soft, rounded edges, simple construction, and bright primary colors -- are banned if they contain small parts.

Small Balls: The CSPA also increases the size of banned small balls. Round objects are more likely to choke children because they can completely block a child's airway. Any small ball intended for children older than three must include the following warning:

Posted ImageWarning: CHOKING HAZARD – This toy is a small ball. Not for children under 3 yrs.

Any toy intended for children between three and six years old that contains a small ball must include the following warning:

Posted ImageWarning: CHOKING HAZARD – This toy contains a small ball. Not for children under 3 yrs.

Marbles: Any marble intended for children older than three must include the following warning:

Posted ImageWarning: CHOKING HAZARD – This toy is a marble. Not for children under 3 yrs.

Balloons: Balloons pose a grave choking hazard to children, causing more choking deaths than any other children's product. Almost half (46 percent) of the choking fatalities reported to the CPSC have involved balloons. At least 57 children have died from balloons since 1990. (See Attachments for data on toy related deaths). NYPIRG's list of dangerous toys includes balloons marketed for young children as well as unlabeled balloons that are still on store shelves.

The CSPA requires the following choke hazard warning on all balloons:

Posted ImageCHOKING HAZARD – Children under 8 yrs can choke or suffocate on uninflated or broken balloons. Adult supervision required. Keep uninflated balloons from children. Discard broken balloons at once.

Bins and Vending Machines: Finally, the CSPA requires choke hazard labels on bins and vending machines. Toys or small balls that require labels are often sold in vending machines or unpackaged in bins, these vending machines and bins must contain these same statutory warnings.

Toy Survey Findings and Recommendations on Choking Hazards

Overall, toy and party stores are doing a better job of how they market small balls, balloons, small toys or toys with small parts, ensuring that either the bin in which the toy is sold or the toy itself is labeled with a choke hazard warning label. Yet even with these improvements, NYPIRG researchers still found toys for children under three with small parts; toys for children under six without the statutory choke hazard warning; toys that barely pass the small parts test; unlabeled small balls; and balloons printed with messages appealing to young children and sold loose in bins without choke hazard warnings. NYPIRG recommends that parents use a choke testing tube, a golf ball or a cardboard toilet paper roll to test small toys and parts; make sure that balls given to children younger than three are at least 1.75 inches in diameter; and never let children younger than 8 play with latex balloons.

Dave,

Yes I do use these. They are intended for small toys however if you want to use them on candy as well It couldn't hurt.

It is better to be over prepared than under prepared. This is one area that we as bulk vendors can take the regulation one step further and do more than what is required or mandated. I would suggest that everyone on this board who bulk vends use these labels. Its quick, easy and its the right thing to do.

In researching toy and child safety regulations and facts, I have come to the conclusion that we as an industry need to develop a more responsible role in ensuring our children's safety. Something as simple as slapping a warning label on our machines can go a long way to promote a safe environment in the locations where our machines are placed.

Another note on child safety, If you have any machines that you have mixed toys (caps or balls) with edible items, pull it today! Separate the toys and NEVER mix these items again. This is a dangerous practice that I see people use almost daily.

If anyone needs warning labels, look for a pinned post at the top of the bulk section. I will be offering them to our members through the forum.

Steve

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the information. I have seen these labels on a few different toy capsule machines recently as well. I'd be interested in finding out whether a vending operator has been sued as a result of vending a toy capsule, superball, or gumball due to a child-related injury.

Thanks,

Brian