keys, keys, keys

sweetgypsy

If I buy Northwestern machines from Sam's club in lots of say 10 a month, will they all be keyed the same or will each month bring me a new set of keys?  I'm assuming the 10 each month will be keyed the same, but should I even assume such a thing?

Beth

If you are buying from the same place, changes are they will all be the same keys. Suppliers of equipment get containers of product that are all the same. Locks, keys, etc. You would hope that the keys that each person that buys the same machine gets a different lock & key but that doesn't happen very often.

Gary

If I understand that correctly...

If sams gets a delivery of machines(is it local sams or online?) if they ship some to me and some to another vendeor...we may have the same keys??

So if they ship to the same state /area then ther may be a vendor out her with the same key set??

did not think about that..

Lots of vendors have my keys! :( But on the other hand I have their keys too! ;):)

Yes, there are many vendors out there with keys that match up to your machines but the odds of them using those keys and getting into your machines aren't very likely. (Although I have heard some nasty stories about competitors playing dirty.)

Anyone else have any input on this one???

Here's a little trick I learned on this site about keys. Don't tell anyone else.

If you have keys that are barrel shape with the little tooth that sticks up in one spot. Like the keys on the 1800 machines, if you file that tooth off it will prevent someone with the same key from getting into your locks. You really don't need that on the key. It's just there to line up the lock with the key.

Here's what you do. Each time you lock up your machine you turn the lock so that the two notches don't line up like they would have to if you had the tooth still there. If anyone tries to use their key it will not go in your lock. Try it with an extra key and you will see what I mean.

The only thing is, if they file off the tooth on their key, they will be able to get in to your machines again.

Gary

BUY NEW LOCKS.

I never keep the same lock on anything I get. Locks are only so good why make them less secure by having others with same locks. Go to your local lock smith and get them to set you up an acount that keeps track of what the lock sizes are that you use and the key numbers. Make sure the locks are resetable (change pins). This will help in a few ways.

1. You can ask for a lock that he will not sell to anyone else.

2. You build a relationship with them and that will help if you need something.

3. You don't have to take a key into him to get a copy.

4. He can suggest the best lock for the buck and even give you discount rates if you buy in bulk (more then 3)

5. If you need to change out the locks you could simply have him change the pins (I do this myself) and save some money by only paying labor.

6. He knows lots of stores in town and could be a very good asset to your buisness.

7. If someone stills your machine and takes them to him guess what? He will know your machine and you may get it back.

8. even different brand machines can get keyed alike. this will clean up your key chain

9. I think I pay like 8-10 $ for barrel keys and they are tough. He even installs them for me at this price if it is the first machine of the brand so that he knows I am getting the right size lock.

I have taken some lock smith courses and I already am on good turms with my local lock smith. I could have 30 different types of locks house, shop, bulk machine, coke machine and so on and them all be keyed alike. I would not do this becouse this would increse theft if they got hold of your keys but it is posible. I will never ever keep stock locks on anything (some cars are exceptions). I always get new locks and it is not that much. You can always keep the old locks just incase you sell your old machines.

I'm not overly concerned about others having the keys to my machines, I understand this is a risk with the business. My main concern is I don't want to have 60 different keys by the time I have 400 machines.

And Desert Gold. I think your idea of cheap and my idea of cheap are different. To get 400 machines and replace the locks at about $7-$10 a pop is almost like real money in my world.

Thanks for all the replies, Happy Weekending, Beth   

I'm not overly concerned about others having the keys to my machines, I understand this is a risk with the business. My main concern is I don't want to have 60 different keys by the time I have 400 machines.

And Desert Gold. I think your idea of cheap and my idea of cheap are different. To get 400 machines and replace the locks at about $7-$10 a pop is almost like real money in my world.

Thanks for all the replies, Happy Weekending, Beth   

Yea that would be a hurt with that many machines. I would not be able to do this. Like I say I may not know a whole lot about vending but I do security. I have driven tow trucks, done lock smithing, have done security systems and my ex wife was a cop. I have seen crime on mass scales and so I guess I am a little more scared then really needed. I was never very good at spelling or the needed things so I guess my skills in computers, buisness, and security is all have that I can brag about. Damn I guess I am really good at getting crazy girls (not a good crazy eather) I wish I could get some one decent LOL. I would still get to know your lock smith. Ask him if he can teach you how to re-pin your locks. You may still have 2 or 3 different keys (some will be barrel and some will be five pin and four pin) but then you would have a much lower cost. Lock smiths are usally very easy to deal with. Most would have no problem showing you (its not hard) if you purchased a kit from them. The kits can run anywhere from $30 on up and this will do a whole lot of locks. What I do is when I repin I keep my old pins and use them to figure in my other locks. Say you do the five pin locks first now you can figure out that you got a lot of number 3 pins and make sure to use the number 3's. This will save you money in the long run. I have had my pinning set for around 4 years and have done hundreds of locks with it. I payed under $50 and it has worked well for me.

I understand the fact you don't wont to spend $4,000 on locks and repinning yourself could save you probaly $3,500. I choice not to becouse I only get medeco locks and the lock smith doesn't charge me to repin the new ones.

I hope that helps out.

Edit just realized for 400 machines it would be $8,000 on locks becouse they have 2 locks per machine (OUCHY ****) so yea reping works best. You could still do it for around $50 - $100 if you are not reping baral locks (they work different and require different tools). Good luck and please please chat with your lock smith if nothing else but to get to know him/her.

I believe that within this industry there is an unwritten code of ethics. You do not sabotage another vendor. Some vendors may move a machine around to fit theirs in a better spot, but you don't steal their candy or money. I may be naive, but I just think spending money on re-keying your machines is money that could be spent on candy or new machines. $7.88 buys a 3 lb bag of M&M's from Sam's Club. We are in a penny pinching business. It takes about $15-16 worth of vends to pay for an $8.00 lock. For some locations, that is an entire month. Keep in mind who is writing this post. I'm a cheapskate. I won't even buy coin counting tubes unless I can't count all my quarters within 2 weeks of collecting them.

Joe