Why I choose to vend...

joebob051977

This was going to be a reply to another post by I found myself going on and on about why I chose to go into bulk vending.

Sometimes you do what we need to because it is in the best interest of you and your family. I certainly would love to use all of our assets to build this route up so I could do vending full time, but it isn't in the best interest of my family to do so. I am responsible for the well-being of my family and so I go to a job that I don't particularly like. I will have to work about 20 years to see 1st shift. My job causes my skin to break out, its hotter than hell in the summer, so cold you can see your breath in the winter, it makes me look like a coal-miner, and there's always a risk of injury or death. I do it because I love my family. I do vending because I love my family too.

I hope to someday do vending full-time so that I can spend more time with my family. I would like to know that I have the weekend off so I could plan on a trip to the zoo or a museum. I currently work most weekends and don't find out I have a weekend off until Wednesday so it makes planning small trips very difficult.  I'd like to be able to go to church on Wednesdays with my family, and have friends over in the evenings so our family can build relationships with other people. I feel like I lost a big part of who I am when I got put on 2nd shift. I can no longer do the things I want to do. I can't socialize with any of our friends because they are all first shifters. I find myself somewhat left out of Church activites because they are in the evening and I'm not a senior citizen who would enjoy going to the daytime church activities. I know sometimes my wife thinks I am money hungry and just want to make money. I don't. I am hungry to spend time with family and friends and my church. This is what I love. And this is why I do vending. 

Joe 

Joe, I understand probably more than you can imagine. Family should always be first, but in today's world that is easier said than done.

In my younger days I worked as much as I could, to provide as much as I could to my young family. In doing so I missed out on many things in life including watching my daughter grow up. (20 hrs day, 6-7 days week were common, 2 low paying jobs)

So when the opportunity came for me to buy a franchise I jumped on the opportunity even though I had no money to back us up. It was hell for the first 5 years, almost went bankrupt and losing everything, but we persevered.

Today I have a second chance raising two beautiful girls and not having to work like a dog to make ends meet. Just wish I knew then what I know now, closer to 50 then 40 and keeping up with twin three year old is a challenge.

I agree, family is very important. I am very busy with my career and trying to get this vending business established. We have 4 kids all 6 and under and #5 is on the way. I too find it hard to balance these areas of my life. I want to have much more time for / with my family. I will say though that I went through a rough period for a couple of years after we moved to NC from Ca. I worked very long hours and was even traveling for a while for work. I got sick of the place I used to work enough to go out and find a job with a much better company and also to have a much better work schedule. I am still very busy but I have a lot more free time to decide what to do with. I am prioritizing my time more and more to my family and church I am even starting to make some friends (if you knew me you would laugh at that.)

I wish you the best with your vending business. I would recommend putting together your resume and sending it to companies that you want to work for. That is how I got my current job. I knew the companies that I wanted to work for and I "beat down their doors" until one of them hired me.

I can relate to what you have expressed here, I have been there more than once. Keep the faith and continue to be faithful and you will get where you need to be.

David

I think we're all in the same boat, that's what got us into vending.  Corporate world is for some. Sometimes you get beaten down and leave, sometimes you get beaten up (into management) where everyone else gets to hate you.

So vending can offer a relief. 

Go out and fight the good fight.

Going into vending was my son's idea (he's 20). As a finance major he loves running a business while in school. As a sales professional I love helping out by locating. We split the servicing. The first few months were such a blast that I decided that this will be my second career when I retire. I hope to spend the next 10 years building up our bulk and full line business. I just hope the kid doesn't fire me when I get too old! ;)

Regards,

Philo

• 2 months later...

joebob i can i know where you are coming from on this one. I started working this business full time 7 years ago (been working is since i was 6). I am in the same boat you are in kind of. I am 27 years old with a 2 year old at home, and oh yeah don't let me forget i have another full time job as a firefighter. Luckly we work a 24 hour on 48 hour off schedule that allows me to work my routes. I have had to sacrifice alot to do this becuase I made a promise to my wife she would not have to work after the baby was born, thank god i have not let her down on that promise. Hopefully in the next couple of years I will be able to let the job at the fire department go. Anyways best of luck to you.