Adult Consumers

sweetgypsy

I have very few accounts that have kids as my main customers. Most are businesses, break rooms and a couple dive bars. I'm about to place some new NW 60's and want to know what product you feel are the best in a double head. I'm thinking PMM because they seem to be a perennial favorite and Runts because they have a good shelf life. I'm toying with the idea of gumballs on one side, but I'm hesitant because I view this as a kid item not something for the 35+ age group. My bar accounts are remaining unchanged and will have salty nuts and PMM.

Any thoughts, Beth

The majority of my location are adults, and I use gumballs in some. They do sell, but like you I also use nuts in most. It really depends on the location, I have a friend > 40 years old who loves gumballs, but then most of my friends do not. If a location has a gumball addict then they will sell, just like any other product, some locations I can not sell PMM's even though they are my number one seller 1000lbs since November gumballs maybe 200lbs.

In the end trial and error is best, this is a lot easier if you have globe machines.

Beth,

Don't fall into the trap that gumballs are for kids only!  I used to think that as well but I have seen many adult oriented locations buy gumballs.  I had a charter air terminal once that had chickle gum, but when I added gumballs as a selection it almost sold out and the chickle gum hardly moved in this upscale adult location.  I always offer gumballs in every location that accepts them.  Of course, like any product, they may not sell at a particular location and you will need to find a substitute.  But the margin on gumballs is so good you really have to offer them everywhere.  I have many blue collar factories and office buildings that buy a decent amount of gumballs.  They also hold up well in many environments where candy will melt, crack or fade.  Give gumballs a shot - you may be pleasantly surprised (like I was)!

Jax

• 2 weeks later...

Beth,

I also agree it's a trap not to do gum.  Some of my adult customers are fanatics about gum and give me a play by play of who has bought the most since the last time there.  The profit margin is best on gumballs and runts (as best I can figure).  You can always change later if gum doesn't work.

Also there's a thread where we've been discussing the M&M Peanut dilemma and the cost to vend this product.  Its on the front page of the bulk vending forum.

Best of Luck,

Mark 

I'm going to try gumballs at my factory site and see how they do. My skittles are hardly selling so I'm going to give the gumballs a try. From my calculations; if I'm only selling 12 vends of skittles per month, I only need about 3 gumball vends to do better than skittles.