The number one question portioning amounts

westlakevending

Okay vendors im looking on your website to make sure that my portioning amounts are the same as the industrys and im sure others have the same question.

How many of these products do you vend per quarter

Mike and ikes, Skittles, Runts, Peanuts, Cashews, Reeses, Plain MM, and runts?

Theres nothing on any blogs that i can find with portioning amounts.

Help me out

Shawn

Hi all,

Are these numbers pretty much how much everyone is doing? Also how often does the price of product make these numbers change throughout a years time? Wasnt there a formula on figuring # of pieces based on price and volume of a bag of candy? Thanks!:cool:

mhein,

There is a spreadsheet in tools that automatically calculates vend amount based on a few variables that you enter. It was put together by member grumpy.

It is located here==> http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=298&forum_id=13

You'll need PLUS status before you can access it.

Steve

Darn...Only 15 (make that 14!) more post! Thanks Steve!

At one time (about 3 yrs) I had a full binder of information and figures and such, but sold it all off with my machines! Man I wish I could go back and make copies of everything first!:cool:

Interesting, when I first started, I actually counted out the amount in a bag of Hot Tamales which as I remember came out to 1440. Same  with PPM and with cashews etc. From there decided how many should be in a vend.  Later when someone complained about too few PPM in a vend, (I think I was giving 7-B) I went to a 7-11 and bought a bag of MMP for 75 cents and found out there were 21 in the bag. Not very scientific but it worked for me and so I thought, hey people are going to complain. So what!! Wait till I put the 50 cent mech on the cashews which is happening this week, can't wait to see the moaning and groaning!!

Interesting, when I first started, I actually counted out the amount in a bag of Hot Tamales which as I remember came out to 1440. Same  with PPM and with cashews etc. From there decided how many should be in a vend.  Later when someone complained about too few PPM in a vend, (I think I was giving 7-B) I went to a 7-11 and bought a bag of MMP for 75 cents and found out there were 21 in the bag. Not very scientific but it worked for me and so I thought, hey people are going to complain. So what!! Wait till I put the 50 cent mech on the cashews which is happening this week, can't wait to see the moaning and groaning!!

It is so true. People will always complain. I changed out machines at one of my locations and have the wheel opened up all the way and get complaints that the new machine doesn't vend as many M&M's (still vends a lot). Not only did I get complaints about that I got complaints that my new machine was shorter than the old one. Oh well, It still pulls in about $60/mo. I just open my wheels all the way, but I might change that when I place a machine at new locations.

Later when someone complained about too few PPM in a vend, (I think I was giving 7-B) I went to a 7-11 and bought a bag of MMP for 75 cents and found out there were 21 in the bag. Not very scientific but it worked for me and so I thought, hey people are going to complain. So what!!

I have never thought of it like that. People dont realize what they are getting in a pre-package bag of candy. I guess you cant make everyone happy all the time (if at all!):cool:

With the new prices on m&m products my supermarket has them priced at $.99 now. That's crazy! It would be better to buy two or three hand fulls for $.50/$.75 out of my machines.

Note: My Sam's club still has m&m's at the old price so I don't know if they are holding the price or haven't gotten the new product yet. I think it was still $7.69 per bag.

Gary

Good replies. I think you hit on something with counting the numbers in the bags you get at the grocery/convienence stores. I think we do ourselves harm if we don't educate people and let them know we are giving fair portions.

M&M Peanuts are some of the lowest profit margin candy out there with the lowest shelf-life and you just can't give a gazillion pieces to make some complainer happy.

A few times I have offered to change to another product if they think I am vending too few. Plus, giving free samples occaisonally helps ease the pain if you have to cut back on portions.

I'm having great success with Reeses Pieces which have a better shelf life. I'm giving around 10 out per vend.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD GOOD SUCCESS WITH REESES?

Mark

Maybe this is a dumb idea..

But what about a sticker telling buyers they would get more from you then a bag... Say something like "compared to $.99 bag with ____pcs you get ___ pieces for  .25 from this machine" or something like that? Know What I'm saying?:cool: