Introduction

JAS Enterprises

How are you all? I'm Joe, and I started researching the world of vending this week while I was on vacation from my low paying job as an oil heat repair tech. The thing that attracts me to this type of venture is the fact that you can start out PT and grow from there, and oh yeah, let's not forget the human nature to impulse buy, and the fact that kids can be a persistent PITA. 

What I need to know right now is what is the best buy as far as machines go. The selection is overwhelming, and I just want some insight as to which machines are the best quality, what to look at and what to steer clear of for bulk vending. Thanks for all your help, and having this forum available for people like me to learn and exchnge ideas with others in the same boat.

Joe, Welcome.

I'll try to give you a basic overview from someone who deals strictly with triples:  Here are some good brands of triples: 

(1) Northwester triple play- Very Good quality that is one of the easiest but doesn't have removable canisters. (talk to :T-bird Johnny" about these)

(2) XYX easy pro/ route pro- Removable canisters that makes changing product A LOT easier from other machines, good build quality great price. (the XYZ pro doesn't have removable canisters, but still has a good build quality.)  (Talk to "T-bird Johnny" about easy pros)  I have some regulars ones.

(3) Vendstar 3000- Mixed reviews on this machine.  It is all plastic but has removable canisters.  You can pick them up cheap, and if you get them at a good price (about $20 a piece used) I would buy them. Talk to "guthvending" and "philo" I believe

(4) 1800 vending-  My favorite, but most expensive.  They are about $300 new , but can be found for cheap.  Removable canisters, plastic body, but holds up well. (talk to "West coast vend" about these.) I also have a few.

FYI I don't buy machines new and never pay more than $60 a piece for a triple in good condition.  You can find great deals on http://www.craigslist.com and Ebay.  Do be careful and read the "avoid scams/fraud" section because there are a lot of scammmers out there.

Joe, if you have any other question or would like us to elaborate please just ask.  Again welcome and Happy Vending!

Joe,welcome I am new here too and have done alot of research the last week,G-man has covered things very well from what I have learned already. I would suggest spending some time just surfing through the forums and old posts,it gave me a real feel of what to do and how to get started. Good luck to you Joe!

Welcome Joe,

I think Gabe did a great job of summarizing the equipment you could start off with. You can't go to wrong if you start with what's listed above.

Start off slow and find an account first. Then, think about the type of product you could sell and the type of customers that the account has. There is a vending machine for every type of business scenario. If you buy a load of machine right away you may not have what you really need when you find an account placement opportunities.

Examples: Maybe a single gumball machine in a yogurt shop. A bulk rack setup in a video store with candy and toy capsules. Or a triple head machine in a youth center with two types of candy and gumballs in the middle canister.

Buy used at first and ask on the forums if it is a good deal before you buy. If it's for sale, someone here has bought them before.

Good luck and welcome.

Gary 

Thanks a lot folks. I appreciate the input.

Gary: My wife works in a deli and a liquor store so I was thinking about the deli and one of the triple vend machines, and/or a sticker/tattoo machine, but I have to wait till the middle of the week to talk to her boss, and the liquor store is more of a wine store, meaning their inventory is mostly wine with the obligatory spirits for the hard alcohol drinkers, and they do wine tastings every week. I was thinking maybe a single with some cashews for the wine tasters, but these are just ideas in my head to get started.

Thanks G-man, this is some valuable info for me since I can only afford 2 or maybe 3 machines right now, I checked out the craigslist site, but in the hudson valley NY area there was only 5 listings, mostly in Red Hook, so with how inexpensive some of the brand new machines are I might just as well invest in some new stuff to start until I gain some experience in this biz. I'm good mechanically so in the future I might think about getting some stuff that needs to be refurbished/repaired.

Steve, thanks for the link I'm checking it out now and I've been to XYZ's site.

What about Gumball Machine Factory.com??? Anyone ever deal with them? They sell some LYPC equipment I guess. How do I know if these are made in the USA and not some child labor camp in Asia? I'd rather buy American you know. I was checking the racks of machines in the supermarket yesterday, but they didn't have the vendors name, or the manufacturers name either. Is this common? I think I'd want my ID on my machines. Thanks again.

Welcome aboard Joe. I have 8 LYPC Tough Pros. They have served me well. I use them as doubles. There is a separate change drawer which makes servicing very easy especially if you do not need to put product in. They feel a little flimsy on a stand though. Sam's Club sells a Northwestern Super 60 for $62.00 a piece. After researching and buying a number of brands to see for myself, I am only buy those machines from now on. Good luck to you and do not hesitate to reach out to us and ask questions.

PS Great job ( as usual ) Gabe!

I have used gumballmachinefactory.com many times. There service is excellent and the machines are not bad at all. However they do come from China so if that is an issue they would be out. Try A&A global. They have great machines. Very, very well made. Most the parts come from the USA.

http://www.aaglobalind.com/vending-bulk-products.htm

They have locations on the East & West coasts.

Gary

hanks Gary, I'll have to check out that A&A Global site. I would still buy from a company that imports as long as the quality is good. Buying American is preferable but not an absolute necessity, after all I buy Chryslers and GM's for transportation and most of the parts or the vehicles themselves aren't made or assembled here. LOL

Joe.

Great to have you here, Joe!  G-man, I agree with you about the 1800's being the best, but I'd like to clarify your comment on them being the most expensive.

I live in the south west and between Craigslist and Ebay, I've purchased very good used 1800's (about a year old) for $80 each, after negotiation.

Little spit and polish and they're just like new!!

Andy

:P

Well what can I say. I haven't had time to read and post since it started to get cold here in NY. This is when it gets busy for us oil heat guys, people turning on their heat and it doesn't work properly generates a lot of service calls and overtime.But I will make an effort to read and learn so maybe someday I won't have to work so hard. Larman...welcome aboard, I see you so far are probably the closest to me, only 2 counties away. I just wanted to know what attracted you to this type of business, what type of establishments are you targeting, and what is your product line going to consist of?

Thanks to everyone that posted here since my last post, your input is greatly appreciated.

Joe