Painting or Touching up Machines

Ronzo

Hey, curious when you have a machine that needs to be touched up or painted, what do the most of you do. Most of the new machines I assume are powder coated. and I picked up a bunch of machines plus have a few that could use a touch up. Found a place that will powder coat and it does not cost too much for the powder coating  , but he sent me to a another shop that he suggested that does bead sanding so as not to pit the metal too much. Bead blasting is $105.00 an hour. Some of these are aluminum machine. Was wondering what you do in such situations. What can you use in lieu of powder coating to touch them up.  WoW  Can you use a car paint? Rustoleum  or what. And i assume you need to sand down as much as possible. Whats your ideas?   I ordered a few used machines over Ebay and it looked like the top had been put on with a hand brush. Rest of machines looke ok. Appreciatate the response.

Ronzo,

Look on the web, you can find a table top blaster for about $100 that hooks to your compressor, that is assuming you have a compressor. You can also order a powder coat setup from Harbor Freight for about $70 but then you need an curing oven and they run about $267 for a small one. These should be adequate for the average vending machine, would not be large enough for triples though. At least the blaster would save you it's cost in no time.

Hello Guys,

I restore over 300 machines a year. I used krylon paint, and sandpaper on all of my machines and they turn out brand new. The restoration process is like riding a bike once you know what you doing its easy to do. Like i said i used krylon spray paint from walmart the gloss colors and i havent had any problems with my machines. Just make sure you shake the cans up and put several coats of paint. Alot of people even myself sometimes rush into painting with thick coats to get done quicker but one thing to realize is the paint will run if you use too much. I suggest getting a machine and practice painting before you sand it. Just give it a wipe down with a rag and practice.

Shawn

PS: I do restore machines if you have some and dont have the time let me know how many you need done and ill be glad to restore them for a cheap price.

Thanks for the reply. I do have a powder coating machine that I bought from a guy going out of business and the machine is a craftsman. I do uunderstand that you need a oven and you could use just a old oven from the kitchen. But I like the idea of Westlake of using krylon paint. My question I guess is do they have to be sandblated first and remove all the old paint or just sanded down to get a smooth finish?

Ronzo, you can do either.

Alot depends on how bad the finish is and how much work you want to put into it.

If there are a lot of deep scratches or chips you can always fill them with the finishing glaze that body shops use, finish sand and paint. It will take longer than blasting but the end result will look as good.

If the paint is just dull with minor scratches, then lightly sand and paint, you'll be good to go.