Dirty Move

philo

While I was locating the other day I came across an interesting scenario. I walked into a limousine service. In their waiting room was an enormous gumball machine- double wide, with flashing lights and a spiral. It held maybe-1-2,000 gumballs and said Foltz Arcade in big lights. I remarked that it was a lot of gumballs for an adult business and started to talk to them about a triple head. The told me that the gumball machine was put there two days ago, and that there was a triple head behind it! Sure enough when I looke around the backside, there was a NW triple with an NCCS sticker on top! I asked if it had been serviced and they said the guy comes by every 3-4 weeks and was there about three days ago!!!! They said they felt the candy was stale and needed to be replaced. I can't believe the gumball vender just wiped the other guy out like that! Talk about foul play. Oh the things we see while looking for locations.

Regards,

Philo

I would assume this was a pull off from walmart, sold off. Folz would not put that there. The people probably bought a large number of them, and put them wherever they could (Explaining the big machine-little location thing)

I have seen plenty of examples of this. I have had machines set infront of mine. Its a competition thing!

Kyle

They got another vendor, this happens all the time. I have never had someone tell me they are not happy with the service. Instead, they find someone else, and do something with my equipment. The triple will most likely be asked to pull once they come back.

The vendor most likely set the machine in front of the triple. Not the business. Being a big machine, they most likely left it there. The locations do not care.

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of competition I experienced this today. Another vendor and I have a machine in the same locations; big  accounts with lotsa employees. He wanted me out of one location and he would take his out of the other. The reason: he was in his location first and I came in and he is losing half his revenues and he wants mine out. I thought about it and said no deal. He left me a message today that he was going to match me product to product and put a sign on his machine that you will get twice as much product by using his vending machine. How unprofessional. I am a little worried  this might escalate but I think for now ignoring it is the best way to go. Do what you have to do dude; I'll bury you with service and fresh BIG handfuls. What would you do?

Jim

Jim, you are doing the right thing.  He can put flashing lights on his machine for all you care, but it comes down to product freshness and service like you say.  The employees will know which machine is best, believe me.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, guys. I am going to these locations over the weekend and see what signs he has. The real joke is I already tested who gives the largest handful and I can't believe he can open his wheel more than mine. Also, in our conversations he mentioned he would never sell one of the products in my machine. This is a lose lose situation but it will be way more expensive for him than me. I'll keep you posted.

Jim

just food for thought i have come across this situation many times. what i have done is switched it from a charity location to a commission paid location (if you do commission) and most of the time the owners will either remove the other stand or give you the prime spot because they are now putting money into their pocket! Hope that helps

Thanks for the thoughts shvend. This particular location is a large chain department store; would they be open to commission? I'm thinking the red tape etc and the small $ amount I would pay them would not interest them. This kid did put up a sign and loaded his machine up with product. However, I put a quarter in his machine:X and I am still vending more. This will be very expensive for him and maybe he will come to his senses.

Jim

well being that is large department store i would not offer the commision due to the small amount they would recieve. Sounds like to me you have done all you can do. From now on out it sounds like you have some hard core compition in this location. But hay that is part of the business. Just don't let it drive you crazy!!! Just be sure you change your product often and just to throw a curve ball change the stand out every year or so. Becuase people always go to what is new.

Luke