I was there first, but someone has put a second machine next to mine

marsmac

Do you place your machine next to someone else's machine? Even though they were there first?  

1. 1. Do you place your machine next to someone else's machine? Even though they were there first?

Hi everyone,

I have a bulk machine in a fruit and meat supermarket which is one of my best machines. It has been there for about 2 years.

The other day I go in to refill the machine only to find there is a second bulk machine next to mine?

My takings have nearly halved??

What is your experience?

Would you put a machine next to someone else who was there before you?

:?

Martin

Check out my vending website at http://www.lionvending.com.au

I have done it.  What you need to do is make your machine seem like the better deal.  Another member on the board said putting a sign on your machine that says "bigger portions" or something to that effect.  Also, make sure you serve different things in your machine than your competition does.

Good luck!

hehe...one of the first machines I placed was in a location that already had a machine. Since then I've placed machines in lots of locations with other machines.

The reality is...it is going to happen :)

Do like Gabe said - have different product, etc.

For me, most of the other machines have not been serviced well, etc. So that is how I make my machine stand out.

Kevin

I have always vended the same products as the other on purpose, however, I offer much more candy.

Kyle, thats a great stategy that never really occured to me.  I can see why it would work great and eventually make the other vendor want to pull the machine (not to mention drive them crazy).  I will have to give it a shot. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I have a bulk machine in a fruit and meat supermarket which is one of my best machines. It has been there for about 2 years.

The other day I go in to refill the machine only to find there is a second bulk machine next to mine?

My takings have nearly halved??

What is your experience?

:?

Martin

Check out my vending website at http://www.lionvending.com.au

Hey Guys!

Im still a noob at this (both vending and this forum), & in South Africa (where i live) iv been told that wot happened to u is called "Site Bumping." It seems we have a silent understanding that this is a big no no in the trade so i guess its just a respect thing! It must be a real bummer when it happens! Does it really happen that often in USA & AUS? Hope it doesnt happen to me :(

I agree with Guth Vending though..u gota jus out-do him at that location, take back wots rightfully yours!!! ;)

Hope it all works out dude :cool:

I have just run into this situation. Midwest got me a Kmart and when I got there there was the exact same machine as mine with the exact same products. Now I just paid $60 for this location which potentially could be a very good location. Do I refuse this location? No way! I place my machine not right next to but in the same room and I am going to fill with different products, more choices. I'll report how it goes.

hehe...Larry, we just delivered this week to a K-Mart (from Midwest) that had *three* other machines there!

Most likely we'll have to get Midwest to replace this location. However, the manager said the other machines weren't really being serviced, so we'll see how it goes :)

Kevin

I have a battle going on at the moment also. I was the third machine to be in there and the nicest looking one out of the bunch. I started with PMMs and Skittles. The machine I was next to was vending RPs and toys. He's now vending Skittles and Gumballs. I changed mine out to Hot Tamales and Mike & Ikes. I'll have to see if he changes his out again. LOL

The other machine is located in another section of the store.

I ecently had this discussion with another vendor who called me out of the blue because he noticed me showing up in some of the same locations as his. Most of the locations that we have duplicated were done via the locater and /or because of my charity.

He suggested that we "Need not compete" there are plenty of places..

The big location that he was "steamed" about was one where I was asked to replace him BECAUSE he never returned calls and did not service his machine well...

When I joined this forum..the one thing that was repeated to me over and over again..was service..take care of your machine ..take care of your location(people) and you will have less chance that some manager is going to r4eplace you.

From the sounds of things, it can get very competitive as there are lots of vendors going after the same good locations?

From my earlier post, when I found out there was a second machine at my location (a fruit and meat store) I naturally went to check the contact name on the machine.

As it turned out, it was a vendor that I know and have assisted by helping him to purchase stock from a cheaper supplier!!

Oh well, it's good to know that having more than one machine is quite a common thing.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one thing that will always be in vending and that is competition. I have machines sat on me and I have set machines on someone else. Ol' well in my opinion it helps me stay sharp and not let the other guy get the advantage over me.

My best single triple head location had another machine on it the other day. It is in a place you'd never expect to be any good. The employees just go crazy for the pmm's. The manager was sorry he said he didn't know what he was saying yes to, and the guy told him he knows me and we "share" locations all the time. Well the manager said just put his face to the wall in the corner. I did and I put a sign on it. NOT COOL, WE DO NOT SHARE LOCATIONS. I'll see what happens when I go back to that location.

Archived