Tootsie Roll canisters

loach33

I don't have a picture, I'll have to take one and post.  But, I buy the 96 count Tootsie Rolls from Sams for my mint boxes.  Those come in a pretty heavy plastic "barrel" container.  Rather than throwing those away, I've saved them thinking there has to be a use for them.  So, here are some uses that I've come up with.  Feel free to add anymore you can think of.  I'd love to find a craft project use that could be resold.

Storage container for my daughters beads, toys, etc

I dump old cooking oil in one and keep it in the garage

The best use yet though is I drilled two horizontal holes in the side.  Then on my storage shelves in the garage I drill two matching holes.  Run one long zip tie through both holes to secure the container to the underside of the shelf.  (There's a lot of unused space under a shelf).  So now I have new storage.  For my vend business when I get a box of say granola bars, or almonds that is half empty I'll transfer those into one of these and throw away the box.  It really eliminates clutter.  I have about 6 of these now and I have room for another dozen probably.  As I get empties I'll keep adding on.

Hey Loach, How well do tootsie actually sell? Are you 2/$.25 cents?

Im pondering a few different options since some of my locations are getting " York fatigue".

Same price as the York. 3/1 or 35 cents. These are the larger Tootsie rolls. They cost 8.7 cents each in the 96 count tub at SAMs

Maybe if I was doing this full time.  But, for just a penny and a half more I think 35 or 3/1 still works.  Again, I really don't think anyone is tossing in 35 cents for one anyway.  If they take one they will throw in a quarter or whatever few pennies they have in their pocket, or they'll just take it.  

I think having two items helps break up the monotony and kids like the Tootsie Rolls whereas adults in general are fans of the York.  I think if the kid is screaming for a tootsie roll then throwing in a dollar and grabbing a couple along with a york is worthwhile to that parent.  And if they grab two and two it's still worthwhile for me.  That's 31 and a half cents cost for a dollar.  I'll take that every time.

PS - my costs to date in 2014 are $290 on $815 in sales, not counting the donation I send in....about 10% of profits.  That's at 35 cents or 3/1

For the half hour a week I put into it, I'm happy with that but looking for more good locations.  I figure that's about $30/ hour earned

Hi loach,

I'm thinking pretty seriously about trying out the mint boxes. You didn't say how many boxes you have and how long you've been doing them.  I've read every bit of info on the forums about mint box vending several times.  In your experience, could you offer any guidelines as to what is an average net per box, per month (that is, after cost of goods and shrinkage)?  Would it be too much to expect and average profit of $15 per month, per box?  (realizing that some will make more, some less, but just wonderig if an average profit of $1500 per 100 boxes is out of line).

Thanks!

Hi loach,

I'm thinking pretty seriously about trying out the mint boxes. You didn't say how many boxes you have and how long you've been doing them.  I've read every bit of info on the forums about mint box vending several times.  In your experience, could you offer any guidelines as to what is an average net per box, per month (that is, after cost of goods and shrinkage)?  Would it be too much to expect and average profit of $15 per month, per box?  (realizing that some will make more, some less, but just wonderig if an average profit of $1500 per 100 boxes is out of line).

Thanks!

That number is possible after you weed out all of the bad locations and then relocate and weed those replacements and the wash and rinse again until you have what you want. I was told when I first started doing mint boxes that the avg gross per box was $18 per month. From there is where I would start to figure my net.

Thanks very much for in the input, guys.  Sounds encouraging.

Has anyone discovered a way to cut down on the shrinkage?  I read a thread from a couple of years ago in which treadmill recounted his initial startup with the mint boxes and it was surprising to me how many people obviously help themselves to mints without paying.  I can understand it a little more with the honor snack boxes left in a break room, employee lounge, etc, what with people saying to themselves, "Well I don't have the right change on me today, I'll put a buck in tomorrow", then forget, procrastinate, etc.  But you go into businesses all the time that have small impulse items, candy, etc. on their counter that customers wouldn't think of taking, lest they be stealing.  I wonder what it is that makes them think taking some mints from a charity box isn't stealing as well?

Also, another question - do the businesses you deal with seem to let you keep the boxes there indefinitely, or do you have a significant number that eventually ask you to remove them after a certain amount of time?

Hi loach,

Thanks!

I only have 12 locations now, started this year with about 3.  So Treadmill is more of an expert on profit potential etc.   But, I will say that I can see $10 per box being totally doable even with some dud locations.  I've got a few that are really slow but I keep them there until I find something better.   I've got one that is consistently about $25 in the box every two weeks and it's at a location I wouldn't have guessed would do so well.  Lots of walk intraffic though.  

You definitely have to weed out the bad.  It's a constant cycle.  I also have honor snack boxes and I will say that I'd take mint boxes any day over those.  You can get killed by shrinkage on those snack boxes because the costs are higher.  

Keep the boxes looking nice.  Say hi and thank you when you switch the boxes out.  Always be appreciative and if you say you are donating to charity then definitely do it.  

Archived