New to Bulk Vending

grumpy

Hi,

I'm new to bulk vending but plan on starting quickly and growing quickly. Here in Canada we have the loonies $1.00 coin which has been my first purchase in starting in bulk. (6 loonie only with eight selections, u-turn) I'm hoping to learn from all those that post there mistakes and achievments.

• 1 month later...

To tell you the truth you can put just about anything in it, and people will buy. I have a quarter machine and the loonie machine in the same pizza location and the loonie machine outsells the quarter machine. (.25 skittles and lotsa sours) in the loonie machine is:

cashews, JB asst, JB sours, JB tuittie fruitti, mixed nuts, choco coffe beans, peanut M&M's.

Large candy does not dispence well, I took out the choco almonds as I felt cheap only giving 3 or 4 per vend.

Loonie machines will not be accepted everywhere yet, but if people have to wait for a bit, and they got a loonie :)

Hey Grumpy - I'm trialing the loonie U-turns as well...  would love to hear what is working for you and what doesn't!

Thanks for the tips!!  I'll be getting some machines next week, and am hoping to purchase a few placed machines as well - been reading up on valuing routes!

From your signature - it seems that you are just beginning placing your loonie machines...  are you placing yourself, or with a locator? 

Actually Gourmet, I have had the Loonie machines since the end of August, what I have been waiting for is Jelly Belly's. Not all suppliers carry them here in Canada because of the cost. $6.00 a pound for me. I figured if I was going to ask people for a buck then I would have to give them a superior product. This does not seem to be true as the other products are selling good too!

I'm locating myself, just found 4 location today for the beaver heads.

If I was to do it again, despite the $200.00 plus per machine a month I would probably have stuck to single heads instead of a machine that has eight heads. To fing locations that can support the price and selection will be a challenge. But the guy who sold these to me said he had most in large break rooms. They are not built for great security so be carefull were you place them.

grumpy

Interesting thought about the 8 heads being difficult to place...  I'm going to use a locator for my first ones, and likely begin locating after my first 10 are placed...  just start with one piece of the puzzle.  Yes, Jelly Belly's are expensive -my supplier is at $6.80/lb.  (RISIL).  Would be interested in who your supplier is, might be a tad cheaper!  Or, if it's the same as mine, I guess I need to renegotiate my pricing!!

Hi Gourmet,

I'm cheaper on the Jelly Belly $6.00 Lb delivered to my door. But some how I doubt my supplier would supply you. They are actually a full line vending company who do coffee sales, not sure why they do candy too but they were the cheapest I could find. And free delivery or included in the price depending on how you look at it. They are based in Orilla, ON.

Grumpy

Who is RISIL? and have you checked out http://www.bulkfoods.com/default.htm

Yeah - my $6.80 is delivered, but I needed to purchase a rather large quantity, which was ok, because I needed it.  Bulk foods pricing is identical to this, when you factor in shipping cost, but can purchase smaller quantities, which seems ideal!

Risil is located at: http://www.risilnovelties.com/

I got their contact from where I bought my initial machines - they seem ok for pricing, but not stellar...  will see how they perform.

Why would your supplier not supply me too?  Just because that isn't their business model?

Gourmet,

I read your blog and followed your reasoning of buying loonie vends, but buying new was a gamble and expensive (seen them for $100.00 to $500.00 on ebay)

I think you will be diappointed on the quality/durability of the machine, but you will be happy collecting the loonies. :) Put in a secure location only!

During your investigation on quarter machine and loonie machine I think you may have missed a valid point, quarter machines (at least beaver) can be upgraded to .50, .75 1.00, 2.00.

The loonie machines do not dispence a lot of product even wide open, not sure you could dispense a gumball even if you wanted (miss out on energy balls).

As for suppliers I think you can find better in Vancouver area, if not try:

http://www.actionmatic.com

http://www.johnvince.com

grumpy

Gourmet

The next time I talk to my sales rep I will ask if they do orders to BC. They actually have a van that comes to my area to deliver coffee, not sure why they do candy too but who am I to question it with free delivery and good pricing too. (so far as I can find, but always looking)

grumpy

Grumpy - I'm actually in agreeance about the gamble buying new.  I jumped in faster than I should have, and subsequently have found lot's of U-turns for significantly less.

I didn' t know that Beavers can be upgraded..  I learn something new every day!!!  That might be worth looking into... 

Thanks for all of the info - will continue to keep updated on progress!