Toys or Candies/Gum - what's better for business

Rox

Hallo!

I'm newbie in this forum - from Eastern Europe - Poland - not Holland ;) - I have a question regarding products - what is in your opinion better to sell in machines: toys or chewing gum. I know that it depands on places, situation etc. I'm asking that because I see that in USA there much more machines with candies than with toys.

At present I have 600places with 1200machines with toys - balls, jewellery, toys. 90% are outside the small shop. So is it ok to put there chewing gums? - do you practise it?.

What about margin for toys nad candies - here in Poland we sell for 1zloty/0,40usd and 2zloty/0,80usd. From Tommy machine for 5zloty - 2usd.

Sorry for basic questions.

ROX

Rox, welcome to the forum!

Each product has it's advantages.  The profit margin on gum is about the best you can do, but it usually doesnt't move as fat as candy or toys.  Toys are about the oposite where they more steadily, but the profit margin is a lot narrower.  If you are thinking about putting gum in some locations I say do it.  I like dealing with gum because it has a long shelf life, can withstand temperature fluctuation and has a good margin.

I do not vend toys, but for candy I usually figure 20-30% COG.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Tx Gabe!

COG - cost of product I assume, 20%-30% to final price, do you have chewing gum in machines on street - I mean outside the shop? if so how many %.

Do you have any problems with - how to say - sanitary regulations?

ROX

Rox, yes, COG is Cost Of Goods.  All of my machines are inside.  I would think if the machines were exposed to the heat/elements the product would go bad MUCH faster.  Also the machines would get stolen like crazy.  For Gumballs I am at 8% COG. 

Gman - I have 600 double head machines outside - secured of course,

You sometimes use word locator - what does it mean?

I have much more questions - should I open new topic all f.e. send you in private message?

ROX

Here in Europe/Poland many machines are outside the shops, I lost 5 machines for 600 - within period of 1,5 year. I secure the machines - by something looking like a bike lock ;)

Regarding locators - it is new for me - in Poland does not exist, I have a sales rep whith "efficency" 100 locations/month - but our market is not saturated as in USA - I think.