"Quarter" for your thoughts...

that1dude

Alright, so here's the situation I'm facing: I don't have a huge amount of machines, but I've been looking to expand. In this attempt to expand, I've started to get a little more comfortable walking into local businesses to see if I am able to put a machine in there. I'm wobbling a little, but I'm getting through... :D

A lot of these locations say they are interested but the manager there needs to talk to their district manager (like with Port of Subs), or the manager isn't there and they say that they will hand them my card that I've left.

Here's my questions: in y'all's experience, do you call back the location or visit it in-person to get a status update? How long do you give before the call back/visit? Is it really worth the effort, or do the managers just give you false hope only to break that hope with your follow-up?

Sawyer,

Your question is really good because everyone runs in to the same problems when asking for business. When I started I must have gone to hundreds of places asking for approvals to place machines. Almost all of the employees at a business will pass you on to their manager and the manager will send you to their district manager. If you talk to the district manager he may tell you that he would love to take your machine but the main office will not allow them in the stores.

Here's what I did. You can try it or stop after the first no. I ask the employees if they can approve placements. If they say no, I ask when their manager is there. I meet with the manager. If he or she says that a district must decide, I ask for the districts phone number and call them or meet with them. If they say no, I let it go at that point if the district says that it's company policy.

If the district sounds like placements are possible, I ask them what I should do next. This way the district feels like he is helping you. I talk to vice presidents of companies I want and if they say no, I stop asking.

I would not have had most of the accounts I have if I didn't keep going back and asking again. You can ask and ask and ask and finally they will say yes. Those are the best accounts you can get. You feel so good about finally nailing a tough one.

Good luck

Gary

Sawyer:

I always ask to speak with the decision maker; if they are not in I ask who can Ok this deal and when they wll be in, and then go back in person. Your business card or marketing material will end up in the round file if left with a gatekeeper. Gary is 100% correct; persistence pays off. All the best.

Jim

Sawyer,

Also, if it's an account you really want and think you have a shot at, go in an eat or spend a little money (if you can) and clearly communicate you are a CUSTOMER of theirs.

Granted, if you have to go higher up the chain for approval this matters less and less, but I have gotten some VERY KEY accounts by getting my oil changed, taking a group out to a restaurant, buying merchandise, etc. and know this was what tilted the scale in favor of getting the account.

I also communicate I will "do business with them" every now and then (this is not a sales spill - I do what I say or don't say it.)

Mark

markvend wrote

Also, if it's an account you really want and think you have a shot at, go in an eat or spend a little money (if you can) and clearly communicate you are a CUSTOMER of theirs.

This is some really good advice that I had never thought of before. I mean, it is always a good idea to check out a location beforehand (if possible), but it truly can be amazing what some merchants are willing to do for their satisfied customers...