price increase pros and cons

rookie514

All of my locations have chips for .50 and candy for .75.  i always liked the .25 interval because it is esier to work with.  however now that candy has gone up so much i am only profiting about .25-.30 per unit which is very low.  Chips also have increased so much.  I am debating whether or not to increase my prices.  I would increase .10 across the board.  What negative reactions from the buyers could i expect?  Less volume?  I noticed that at .50 for chips many people would buy 2 bags to spend the whole dollar.  now that wouldnt be the case.  Is it possible to lose money by increasing my prices??? 

I noticed that at .50 for chips many people would buy 2 bags to spend the whole dollar.

Rookie,

Here is my take on your comment about 0.50 products. Let me preface this by saying I'm only in my 2nd month of vending snacks.

My first month I was selling the "Big Grab" size chips for 0.75. My second month I've decreased the bag size to the regular 1oz packages and charge only 0.50.

So far, my sales have doubled. I attribute it to your philosophy of allowing the customer to purchase 2 items for a dollar. That way I usually get the whole dollar instead of just 0.75.

Another benefit that I am seeing is a much greater turnover of product. I am blowing through bags of chips so I'm no longer concerned about outdated products.

I guess I really didn't answer your question about raising prices because I actually lowered mine. Sorry! :shock:

Steve

I, like Steve are only in this for a short time, I checked my area and came up with prices that fell within the price averages of other accounts.

I am selling candy at $1. I started with Big Grab chips at $.85 and changed to the 1oz. size and lowered the price to $.75  These products seem to be selling just fine at these prices. I decided to start off with lower prices on bakery items with shorter codes. I just want to move them through without having to take a lose on out-of-dates.

I have this machine in a factory that prints shirts for Planet Hollywood locations all over the world. I don't think these workers are making a lot of money so I am trying to make prices as affordable as possible. Finding what they like has also been a challenge. I added a few Spanish items that they seem to love.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I think that i will leave chips at .50 so people can still use the whole dollar. I will however raise candy from .75 to .85. I dont think that this will hurt my volume because at .75 they were only getting a quarter back and i dont sell anything for .25 so that was just going in thier pocket. I will try it out and let you guys know.

I operate a few counter-top snack machines, and my prices are set at $1.25 for candy and chocolate bars, and my chips are set at $1. I dont know, maybe I am doing something wrong, but every week I sevice the machine I am sold out of chips and the bars/candy are very low as well.

I operate a few counter-top snack machines, and my prices are set at $1.25 for candy and chocolate bars, and my chips are set at $1. I dont know, maybe I am doing something wrong, but every week I sevice the machine I am sold out of chips and the bars/candy are very low as well.

Are you sure they aren't finding a way to get free product?

Hello,

Yes it is certainly possible for them to be getting free product, but I have some pretty good locations, and the employees at the locations are pretty good to me. I’m sure they might get a few free things once in a while, but when you have countertop snack machines this is inevitable. I keep records of all my income and expenses, and I seem to be turning a fairly decent profit, so they cant be getting to much for free.

Don't forget that mrsar66 is in Canada. The prices he is using are standard here. We use a 43 gram (1.5 ounce) bag of chips as a rule which accounts for the higher price. We would also love to buy bars at 43 cents. Our cost is close to 70 cents plus tax.

Ted