Buyers Beware

Larman

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share with you my experience with buying a route.  I bought a 10 location route for $1250.  The route was supposed to do $200-250 per month.  Well being the newbie that I am I dove right in.  I asked what I thought was the right questions and got what I thought was the right answers.  I bought the route.  First months collections were disappointing to say the least, second months were down right pathetic.  My one month take in one of my locations was actually twenty five cents.  I will have to relocate all of the machines, there is not one bright spot among the route. 

I chalk it up to a lesson learned had I waited and read more of the post here on vendiscuss I would have been a little more prepared.  Luckily it was only $1250 and not more like I have heard regarding the biz op scams.

I think I am done with buying routes and I will be buying used and new machines and placing them with Midwest.  Seems to be the most cost effective way to go and at least if the location is not pulling the minimum I can get it replaced.

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share with you my experience with buying a route.  I bought a 10 location route for $1250.  The route was supposed to do $200-250 per month.  Well being the newbie that I am I dove right in.  I asked what I thought was the right questions and got what I thought was the right answers.  I bought the route.  First months collections were disappointing to say the least, second months were down right pathetic.  My one month take in one of my locations was actually twenty five cents.  I will have to relocate all of the machines, there is not one bright spot among the route. 

I chalk it up to a lesson learned had I waited and read more of the post here on vendiscuss I would have been a little more prepared.  Luckily it was only $1250 and not more like I have heard regarding the biz op scams.

I think I am done with buying routes and I will be buying used and new machines and placing them with Midwest.  Seems to be the most cost effective way to go and at least if the location is not pulling the minimum I can get it replaced.

Larry- As you said, live and learn. It could have been a WHOLE lot worse! As long as you understand it was a mistake, don't let it discourage you! Personally, I would consider trying to re-locate some of those machines myself before going with a locator. You will never know until you try. Good luck.

g

Larry, I feel for you. I bought a bulk route once...and while I didn't get ripped off, I didn't exactly get the deal I thought I was getting. I paid $850 for a 7 machine route. I got about $100 in candy, $55 in a machine the guy didn't collect, and 3 extra machines. But the locations together only pull in about $70/mo and all but 3 need to be relocated.

The guy wasn't trying to rip me off...I believe he was just clueless about what his route did.

Most of the bulk operators I've talked to are this way. They aren't so much trying to rip people off as they just aren't aware of what their machines do - although there are definitely some (Philip Vernon for example) that are out to rip people off.

Because of this I've come to the same conclusion as you - buy machines and either self-locate or pay a locator.

FYI, for full line it is a totally different story. It is much easier to verify income and see what is going on.

Kevin

Well , what I have done before when I bought a route was,I went with him before I bought the route and saw first hand what the machines were doing .

Now , maybe try this . Go in and ask the people at the location what THEY want in the machines .

Have a list of the stuff you are offering.Just wait and see if thats helps .

As for as getting a locator, I would not .

You can do it .

Good luck to you

betty

If you are looking at a Bulk Vend route to purchase, the best way to come close to verifying what the route is actually doing is to check the invoices for product purchases and determine if there was enough bought to support the claimed sales, verify the inventory in each of the units (approximate is OK), verify the actual inventory in stock to support the units. The purchases have to support the sales, if not, quickly run away.

• 2 weeks later...