Charity Fraud

Larman

I know that the charity topic has been controversial the past week or so but .... I went to service my machines and in two locations there were other machines with the N.C.C.S stickers on them except they were not stickers but made out of paper with no identifying code or phone number on them.  They were obviously fakes.  I left without notifying the manager.  But now that I have slept on it and have read some other posts I will be telling the manager.  I feel it gives both the vending industry/venders and the charity a bad image.  What do you guys think?

Personally, there are two schools of thought on this.

1. Never mind what "other" people are doing and just make sure YOU are doing the right thing.

2. Since you are working with the charity, it certainly does give ethical operators (such as yourself) a bad name. Therefore, it would be right to (at the very least) let the charity know what is going on.

I don't think either one if wrong, it's just a personal choice YOU have to make. Good luck.

g

Larry, I agree with Guile - 2 choices.

Personally, I pick #1. There is no way to know for sure what the person is doing or not doing. I also feel that I've done enough stuff in my life that I'm not in a position to judge anyone :) Lastly, if you go on a crusade to stop unethical practices in business, you have a long, long, long road ahead of you :)

But lots of people pick option #2 also.

Whatever makes you feel best, go for it.

Kevin

Larry:

I would watch how this person services the machines and if there is an opening then you might make a move. I just booted a commission machine with my charity because for 2 months the machine has not been serviced and it looks like crap. I thought it my job to tell the owner this machine is a reflection on your business and it looks sloppy and I have a solution!! He was happy I brought it to his attention. I think we see this too frequently and this reflects on our business. I believe people were not using my machine as much because of the klunker sitting next to mine.

Yea, there there is abuse in charity and commission vending. The tattle telling could back fire and the other vendor could retaliate on you. As said by others, it is a choice each vendor must make. I tend to gravitate to #1 as well, but I deal with each situation on a case by case basis.

Another form of charity abuse is when some vendors simply stop paying their monthly dues and leave the original stickers on the machine. I had bought a route a few years ago and when I asked about the charity labels, she said "I stopped paying the charity a long time ago". I lost a lot of respect for her since she should have returned the labels.

Some vendors will use a charity's name even if there is no official vending program.  They will then make a monthly donation like any one else would.  That's Okay as long as the vendor got permission from the charity and the donations are consistent and comparable to other programs.   After Katrina, I saw a number of Red Cross machines spring up.  I always wondered if they were legitimate since I don't believe the Red Cross had an official vending program.  The vendor could just donate whatever he feels like giving - maybe as little as a quarter per machine per month.

Jax