Thinking about Soda/Snack Vending

Johnny Ringo

Hi,

I'm brand new to this world and have been thinking about getting into the industry for the past couple of weeks.

I have been thinking about purchasing an existing route and also about starting from scratch by finding locations and then placing used machines.

Everyone that contributes here is fantastic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnny Ringo

Hi Johnny,

I'll be your huckleberry. lol I prefer bulk over full line as it doesn't require servicing as often. Also far less service issues with the equipment. I can solve a broken mech issue but maybe not a compressor on a coke machine. Most of the bulk vendors service from 4-8 week cycles compared to once a week more running the bigger full line machines.

I would recommend against buying an existing route until you have a bit more experience under you belt. It's pretty easy for someone wanting to sell a route to make it sound far better than what it is. They often will be less than honest with all the numbers, the locations, equipment and just about everything they tell you. Right now you don't have enough experience to know where they are lying to you.

Regardless of your choosing full line or bulk I'd recommend buying used equipment from craigslist or ebay. Make sure when you buy that you are thinking of what it would sell for if you wanted to sell it. Then if you decide this business isn't for you can sell out without losing too much. If you stay in the business I still recommend buying used as you can get alot more machines collecting money by buying used than new.

Well, long welcome here but hope to see more of you in the forum. Check out the Shop and Swap section where you'll find alot of equipment listed in both the craigslist and ebay areas.

nam

nam,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm really thinking of buying used machines and starting from scratch. That would be the least expensive way to go.

I have been gravitating to soda/snack because of the higher profit per location. I do know that there is a lot more work in terms of maintaining full line locations, though. Bulk sounds attractive because of the low maintenance. From what I've heard so far, finding locations is the most difficult part of this business. Needing such a large number of locations for bulk vending, would you say that is a major obstacle?

I would love anyone else's input on bulk vs. full line, as well.

Thanks,

Johnny Ringo

BTW, I'm in Southern California. I'm sure that have an effect on competition and market saturation.

Hi Johnny,

I just found this forum yesterday and I too am looking to get started in vending. I am going to stick to bulk vending for the time being. Still investigating but it looks like I will be heading down the used equipment path and finding my own locations.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Bruce

• 3 months later...

hi Johnny.....great name by the way...lol  Ringo that is....

im also just starting out and it seems that to start out cheaper is the way to go.....good looking used equipment vs new....gumballs & candy seems easier to vend.....BUT if you really want to make bigger money sooner....full looks better to me....BUT locations might be tougher since the veterans are already there....

times are tough out here....but this is a great site for infor on the business and the people seem to be very helpful...

good luck

Whistle

I too am new to site, and I have not started as of yet.  After reading everyone's post here I too think that used equipment is the way to go.  As far as full vs. bulk I think it depends on your goals and your limitations.  Time, start up capital, and how much one is trying to make are big variables in your decision to full vs. bulk.  Just my limited thoughts.