Land Rover anyone?

Rustinm

Hello,

I have been thinking about buying a land Rover. I think it would be great to do my route. I think the back is tall enough to put an assembled vendstar in there standing up. I was just wondering if anyone out there has one of these and what their experience with it has been. I have heard they are reliable but i have also heard that when they do break parts are expensive. Any opinions? Here is a link to one that is on craigslist.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1141487142.html

Thanks

Rustinm

Rustinm,

I would have to say I wouldn't want to put the gas in this thing. It averages 12 mpg in city and 16 mpg on the highway. It does have a good reliability rating for the 04 model and a so so rating for safety. I've had two of my kids buy BMW's and unfortunately my youngest daughter still has hers. She needs a new headlight now and it's like $600 for the headlight. I just put a new aux. fan in the stupid thing. I had about had to disasemble the front end of the car to the point it looked like something that had been in a front end collision as I had to remove most of the front end of the car. This mickey mouse electric fan cost $1,200 at the dealer and cost me on ebay almost $400. I would rather have changed out a transmission, fuel pump and alternator for the work involved on this job. Each time they have a problem the parts cost with all joking aside 4 to 10 times the price as for your Dodge Dakota. Now I've not owned or worked on a Ranger Rover but after 2 BMW's I can only assume since it too is British, would be similar. Oh, and we have some huge dealerships out here in Phoenix and they still don't stock zip for these cars.

You ask so I'm gonna tell you like it is. Sorry, but I'd expect your Dodge Dakota to run more miles for less money. Buy one of those 4 dr. SUV's like the Dakota.   :D   Or if you want foreign buy a Honda or Toyota.  Check any car out as far as specs and reliablity ratings before you buy.

nam

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?year=2004&make=Land%20Rover&model=Discovery&trimid=-1

• 3 weeks later...

get ya something that gets better mileage. I use a honda civic to run the route, but I have a truck when I need it as well. Maybe I should get a 2wd toyota truck with a cap on it...that would prolly be ideal.