...and now I'm a vendor, part 1

chris in md

Well, I guess now I'm a vendor!  Bought my first machines today.  Here's part 1 of my story...

I see a couple sticker machines advertised on CL, 100 bucks for the pair.  I PM brother Nam to see what he thinks, and he confirms my suspicion -- this is a screaming hot deal and I need to jump on these things asap.  So I send the CL guy an email (too late in the evening to call) and get a reply back in relatively short time that, yes, they're still available.  I get his number and I call him early this morning, get a few details on the machines, like what I'm hearing, instantly like the guy, and ask if it's all right to come over right now (I don't want these things to get snatched up by someone else).  Not a problem.

So I grab some cash (and grab a little extra, too, just in case he's got some other stuff...more about that in part 2...) and hop in the car; he's about 45 mins away.  When I get there, the sticker machines are in nicer condition than he had described, look WAY better than they did in the pics, have ALL the parts, and keys, too!  I've posted a few pics below from his CL ad; I'll take some more later tonight and post them b/c these pics really don't do them justice.

We go over the machines, he shows me how everything works, and they are about as nice as you could want them to be, completely clean.  The coins mechs work beautifully, and they're both complete from stem to stern -- even the vending weights that go on top of each column, plus he's got three keys (both machines are keyed the same).

I hand over my money (did I mention, 100 bucks for BOTH?), and he says, "well, I guess now you're a vendor."  I am totally stoked, and I haven't even vended anything yet! :) 

I spent 2 hours talking to the guy -- super, super nice guy -- talking about his bulk vending route, picking his brain for tips and pointers.  He vends Northwestern Super 60's (which is what I've been lusting after) and mentions he's got a few extra machines in the garage.  Complete music to my ears, and I'm extremely glad I brought some extra dough...Tune in for part 2 shortly... 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chris,

May I be the first to congratulate you one your first purchase.  What kind of stickers or Tattoos are you going to be vending?  If you have not chooses any yet may I suggest you get in touch with either Flatline ( 2flatline.com) or vsi ( vendingsupply.com)  Those two are the best there is as far as I know.  I am sure others on here will have plenty to offer you.  I myself have roughly 90 to 100 flat vend machines out on location.  And you will not dissappointed. 

I noticed those machines are vending on a quarter.  You will more than likely want to change that to 50 cent at least.  Unless you find a locaiton that lets up put that in without any commission, or you find a heck of a deal on some product. 

part 2...

...So we go in his garage and he's got two NW Super 60 doubles sitting in there, off his route.  He said they had been in a buddy's auto shop, but he pulled them b/c they weren't bringing in much money and it was the furthest stop on his route.  Get to talking, I ask if he'd be interested in selling them, and we strike a deal -- 90 bucks for two NW Super 60's, the double mounting plate, and a cast-iron pole stand.

He swapped both lids and one of the coin mechs to give me the best parts off of the four that he had.  The two heads I bought from him are complete and clean.  One head is set up for gumballs, the other side is set up for candy.  The paint is super nice on these, and the chrome is darn near perfect.  He had put 2 new globes on these a while back, and they're in great shape.  Since I've never had bulk machines, he completely tore one of the heads apart, showed me all the parts and how everything worked.  Got matching locks & keys for the pair.  The stand is practically new, w/ a great finish on it.  He also gave me a variety of vinyl product stickers for the candy head.

I ended up talking to the guy for 2 hours and truly feel like I made a friend today.  Just a super nice guy -- and he's got several more NW Super 60's sitting in his garage that I might just have to go back for.  He told me to call him anytime if I ever had any questions or wanted any more machines.

To say the least, I am just completely stoked!

Congrats Chris!!! Glad you got to be first this morning with the cash cause whoever got there first would have bought these those machines. That is a great first deal for sure. And to my way of thinking better than a candy machine.

You're off to a great start buddy!

nam

Thanks, Luke & Lurtsman.  The coin mechs in the sticker machines can be set for any combo of 1-4 quarters.  I was figuring 50 cents was going to be my starting point, maybe 75c if I get a good location and product mix.

What kind of stickers or Tattoos are you going to be vending?  If you have not chooses any yet may I suggest you get in touch with either Flatline ( 2flatline.com) or vsi ( vendingsupply.com)  Those two are the best there is as far as I know.  I am sure others on here will have plenty to offer you.  I myself have roughly 90 to 100 flat vend machines out on location.  And you will not dissappointed.

shvend -

I really haven't decided which stickers/tattoos I want to vend out of them yet.  There is a very big Harley-Davidson dealership not far from my house that I'm thinking would be a great place to put one of the sticker machines w/ a mix of the H-D stickers and tattoos that I've seen available, and maybe some of the skull themed products.  I figure parents might go in there w/ their kids and probably would like to get them something cheap w/ the H-D theme, or even get some stickers for themselves.  Not sure if I'd get in there, but won't know till I try. :)

I've seen a pretty decent selection of stickers & tattoos at the TJ King website, but not sure how they are on prices, so still comparing those.  I'm also only about an hour away from A&A, so I'm planning to see what they have and maybe make a trip over there.

- chris

Congrats Chris!!! Glad you got to be first this morning with the cash cause whoever got there first would have bought these those machines. That is a great first deal for sure. And to my way of thinking better than a candy machine.

You're off to a great start buddy!

nam

BruceRehm wrote:

Way to go Chris!

It is amazing what you can find when following some of the deals.

I just 'got in' yesterday with my first machines. Two Gumball Coasters.

Bruce

Thanks for the kind words, Nam & Bruce!

And, Nam, thank you for ALL your help and support, and thanks for letting me bounce this idea off you last night!

- chris

Chris,

If you are only a hour away from A&A that is where you should go for your product. No one will be able to compare when you take shipping into account cost wise.

nam

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!  Here are a few more pics, from the right side, which has the most scratches on the machine on the left; nothing horrible, just needs a little touch-up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is a sticker machine and a baseball card machine the same?

I'm not 100% sure.  The columns look like they can be swapped out for different-sized rails, so I might need to do that.  Anyone know the dimensions on the sleeve that vend stickers/tattoos?

Here are the NW machines:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chris,

Nice looking Northwesterns! I have quite a few sticker/tattoo and they are all the same and almost positive no different than collectible cards in size. I've never bought a machine that someone was vending those cards in but quite certain the size is the same. I've seen multiple ads for this type of machine that has stated for sticker/tattoo and collectible cards.

The size of the sticker/tattoo sleeves would be 3" wide by 4 1/2" long. The sticker/tattoos are just slightly shorter by 1/4".

Hope this helps guys.

nam

Is a sticker machine and a baseball card machine the same?

I'm not 100% sure.  The columns look like they can be swapped out for different-sized rails, so I might need to do that.  Anyone know the dimensions on the sleeve that vend stickers/tattoos?

Here are the NW machines:

Yes the sticker machine and the baseball card machines are the same.  You may need to adjust the column pressure plate in thebottom to keep the machine from vending two tattoos at a time.  The baseball cards are slightly thicker then your normal sticker.