My name is John and I have a...

Farmer_John

Serious addiction to the bulk vending industry.

It all started with a kiss.  At a birthday party, I met my then GF's uncle who has been in the game most of his life.  I was looking for a change in career and was networking with most anyone I met at that time.  He asked me if I'd be interested if anything opened up in his company and I said "H### yeah"!

Three months later (two months post relationship) I get a call to see if I'd still be interested, which I was...

http://vendiscuss.com/forums/images/who_dat3.bmp

For the next two years I chased the gumball buzz.  I left TAF the day it got sucked into the Folz/Sugarloaf/Coinstar vortex.

I have not been able to walk by a bulk rack since without tears welliing up in my eyes...

Anyway, I got a call the other day from the same gentleman who got me into this game, saying that he'd taken a job in Texas with a vending company and he had three restaurants up here that he'd put machines in.  Would I be interested in them?  Heh heh.......uh, yeah..

God it feels good to get that off my chest...and to be back chasing the gumball.

Equipment:  2 bulk 5 racks and a bulk 7 w/4 column sticker.

We'll see how it grows.

John,

Welcome back to the game and to VENDiscuss. I'm glad you found us. I just love it when I meet people who have such a love for this business. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you here on the forum.

Steve

Chasing the gumball, I like that. Yeah, Ive chased a few gumballs, chased a few hi bounce balls too, it wasnt a pretty sight.

It will be nice having a commission guy on the board, most of us here are charity vendors.

Welcome.

Jimbo

It will be nice having a commission guy on the board, most of us here are charity vendors.

Welcome.

Jimbo

I know no other way.  Honestly, I only had 9-10 accounts that I actually rolled coin and paid on the spot.  90% of my accounts were big box stores or discount chains (KMart, Kroger, Big Lots, Family Squallers...Saks Fifth Avenue...).  Commisions were handled at corporate.  Most of the equipment was bulk 10 or bulk 8 combos.  There were also a few cranes, kiddie rides, spirals...

It could be a huge challenge with 240ish accounts when faced with a day full of Krogers and KMarts wherer there were up to 10 racks!  $10,000 gross weeks were not  uncommon in the summer months.

I can see the advantage of Charity racks (quicker in and out...shop owner gets no ding and doesn't know the take), But honestly I've done the three locations that I now have and know that they alone will gross around a grand a month.

Figure after commissions and product, I'll still put around 500 bucks in my pocket for around 3 hours of play.

No offense, but comparing that to pulling 20-30 bucks out of a bulk 2 or triple play and the amount of driving and the amount of time it would take wouldn't justify (at this time anyway) doing it the charity way.

If I end up being wrong, I will be the first to admit it.

Now that net revenues go to my pocket, I may try a charity machine or two.

Hell, I'm just happy to have friendly ears to spout off to!

No worries, stick with what you know. Some vendors here may end up doing both commission and charity or even commision only. I have some commission stops but 85% of my route is charity, although, I wouldnt mind having a few of those big box stores.

I remember buying some commission locating cds awhile back, these guys did all commission, racks, cranes, stickers etc. All they did was locating, every day and had 5-6 route guys for servicing. It definatly opened my eyes and helped me establishing good locations, I got into alot of resturaunts and markets using these techniques.

Lots of charity guys do both.

I welcome your imput.

Jimbo

Welcome aboard Farmer John.  Having someone knowledgeable like yourself is a plus for us!

If you do not mind me asking, where is New Hudson?

I"m in the south eastern corner of Michigan, 25 miles west of Detroit.