Looking to Start Vending

DBeer20

Hey everyone,

I've been interested in the vending business for a while now and I'm glad I came across this forum! It looks like I landed here in the same way many others did. I found the BizOps first, then decided to keep on researching. Good thing I did. Like a lot of the new guys here I'm looking to start small with a handfull of bulk candy triples. I am currently in the National Guard finishing up a deployment in the Middle East. I won't be home for a few months so I'm using this time to do as much research as I can, as well as save some cash to get this thing started. I have a few questions though. I've gone through this forum and tried to read up a lot on the whole charity vending thing. Are businesses that receptive to putting a machine on their location and not get any money from it? What are some good pitches and counters to nos? Also, I've looked around and I can't find any information on postage stamp vending, does any one have any experience? Thanks!

Doug

Doug,

Welcome to vendiscuss and thank you for your service to our country.

Hopefully I can shed some light on the charity aspect.  I just recently sold my route of all charity machines.  I had good success with locating charity machines.  A lot of locations may not be interested if they don't get a cut, but that's OK because then  (which I did not do but will in the future) you can say "I can give you a commission" then maybe they will think twice.  Here is how my pitch went:

"Hello, my name is Gabe ********* ,  I am working with the Marion homeless shelter placing candy machines to help support them.

Would you be interested in letting us place a machine here?  (I then show pictures of the different machines I have.)

If you do go the commission route, they usually get 10-20% of your net.  Some vendors here also let the location know that if they do do a commission, the portions have to be smaller (or prices higher if you are in full line) to offset the commission. 

Postage stamp vending interested me when I first started as well.  I quickly changed my mind because of 3 main reasons:

1) The profit margin is low- People already think postage is too high, so you will only be able to charge a few extra cents per stamp or else they will just got to the post office to buy them.

2) Postage is always changing- Postage just went up again from 42 cents to 44 cents.  If you had in inventory a bunch of 42 cent stamps what would you do?

3) Product cost and stolen machines.  The machines and product together can add up quickly.  A gumball costs me 2 cents a piece.  A stamp costs 44 cents a piece.  If my gumball machine gets stolen with 100 gumballs in it I just lost my machine cost ($50) and my gumball cost ($2).  If my stamp machine gets stolen with 100 stamps in it I just lost the machine cost (usually no less than $100) and my stamp cost ($44).  See what I mean?  I don't want you to think I'm telling you not to do it, just wan tot give you another perspective from someone who also considered stamp vending.

Good luck Doug

Doug,

First, thank you for your service to our country! 

Sounds like you've got plenty of free time to do some serious reading while you're over there.  You have found the best site on the internet to learn about the vending business.  Hopefully this site can save you from making the same mistakes so many of us have already made.  lol

I would recommend you buy 1800vending machines if you looking for the best triple head for your money.  You can pick these up for between $50 and $100.  They are great machines and probably the nicest looking in my opinion.  My opinions are pretty biased as I'm always thinking about how much the machines cost as being equally important to the quality of the machines.  Taking into consideration that you can't just buy a lousy machine because it's cheap.  The best quality machines are Beaver, Northwestern, Eagle and Oak but these will generally cost alot more money.  Typically a single head of any of those four will cost you as much or more than a really nice used 1800 triple head.  You can also find the 1800 Vending machines in nice condition at a good price without much effort.  It's very hard to find used Beavers or any of those four top quality machines in nice condition at a cheap price.

Anyway, sure you'll get other opinions but at least you have the forum to read machine reviews and get all sorts of info on machines and everything else you need to know.  Feel free to pm me anytime and ask whatever you're unable to find in your searching.

nam

I agree with G-man422 in regards to the Stamp Vending Machine.  I also think the general public would rather buy stamps at the regular price versus spending additional money at stamp vending machines.  Just a thought.  Thanks for serving.  I served in the Navy during the Gulf War Era. 

The charity vending works better in an office/breakroom setting. The retail setting are trying to make money off every customer, they want commissions for the most part. I have charity in retail locations and from time to time I lose them to a commissioned vendor.

The office/breakroom setting they are providing a service to their employees/clients. You are not competing directly with their business. the people in the waiting room can get a quick snack to help the time pass. The employees can get a sugar rush on a quick break.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New2vend,

You don't need much time or money. I bought 4 triple head Vendstar 3000 for $150. You can find them pretty cheap just look on Craigslist. As for time, all you have to do is go find a store to put your machine in, buy the candy, fill the machine, the go service it after 2-4 weeks. Servicing should only take about 10 minutes, if that.

I am located about 1 hr. north of Philadelphia, in the Bucks County area. Why do you ask?

Mettle,

There is someone in philly that is selling 74 brand new 1800 triples for $89/unit

maybe you can offer him a better deal and take a load off his hands...

Mettle,

I ask just because I'm in North Central WV and have yet to meet anyone here close to me geographically.  I saw that you are in PA and thought perhaps it was Southwest PA. Oh well..... I hope you like vending, it has been very kind to me so far.

Yeah, we are pretty far away from one another. It would be nice to actually meet in person someday, but first I have to make this work.  4 VS 3000 is a good start but alot more work needs to be done to get out of my 9 to 5!

I think that action is in Pittsburg. That is about 4 hrs away from me. Thats pretty far plus I wouldn't have room to keep them all!

I only wish i was 4 hours away..I would make him a good deal that

may benefit both of you, and go get a u-hual...you see very few

1800's on ebay, and I have not seem them new...

I only wish i was 4 hours away..I would make him a good deal that

may benefit both of you, and go get a u-hual...you see very few

1800's on ebay, and I have not seem them new...

I am just starting out in the bulk vending business, I haven't even collected the quarters 1 time yet! I wish I had that kind of money laying around to just go and offer a few thousand dollars for all those 1800's. I really wish I could buy them but it is just not feasible at this time.  :(

If I start making money on my route, and they are still available a couple weeks from now I may be able to get over to Pittsburg to purchase all those machines. They could really ramp up anyones revenue if placed correctly.

I am just starting out in the bulk vending business, I haven't even collected the quarters 1 time yet! I wish I had that kind of money laying around to just go and offer a few thousand dollars for all those 1800's. I really wish I could buy them but it is just not feasible at this time.  :(

If I start making money on my route, and they are still available a couple weeks from now I may be able to get over to Pittsburg to purchase all those machines. They could really ramp up anyones revenue if placed correctly.

I competely understand. I asked him how much it would be for shipping on per box.

I have yet to get a reply, maybe he is not interested in shipping...