Key broken inside lock

KM

Has anyone ever had their key break inside the lock?  I just serviced a machine and ended up having to swap it out because the key broke inside the lock when I tried to open it.  The 'point' on the metal key broke off in the lock and now I cannot open the top heads.  I tried using a vacuum to suction the broken piece off- doesn't work.  I turned the machine upside down and shook it, but the piece won't budge.

Does anyone know how I can fix this without having to break the machine apart?  Thanks!

Try extended small needle nose pliers, tweezers and a powerful magnet if you can't get it out that way than you may have to drill out the lock. Just start with a smaller size bit  maybe 1/4 inch and step up the bit sizes as you go. You could also try to drill out a little around the edge of the lock next to the key to see if you can expose a little more of the key to grab with pliers start with a a=smaller bit for that. Just a few ideas, good luck.

David

If the tip is broken off and broke off in-position, I might try putting superglue on the end of my key, inserting it into the lock and pushing down on the top firmly for about 30 seconds, and then trying to open the lock. 

My understanding is that the internal cylinder can't spin inside the lock unless the key is inserted.  Well.  In that case, before drilling out the lock, I might just drill out the bottom 1/4" of center rod that sticks into the base of the machine.  once that rod dis-engages with the base, the lock+center rod should just pull out of the top.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

after drilling out a few locks(and of course ruining  the lock and center rod) i tried a small amount, and i mean a small amount, of super glue on the key and inserting it back into the lock, hold for about 20 seconds and hopefully all comes out...........this what a locksmith did for me on my car key that broke off in the ignition and so far worked for me one time............however i have found that if i spray 3m (dry) silicone in my locks once a year, i havent had one to break since 2001. hope this works for you