Locating on Long Island

T BIRD

My wife and I have big time problems so far with finding locations. We knew this would be difficult.

Anyway it is not going well. Our locator has only found 6 spots in 10 days. She admits her staff has been getting alot of hangups etc.  So I discussed this with a couple of people. We floated an idea of locating an area not so near to us where we live that could be worked.  Maybe I should try a locator who does his/her work on site and not on the phone?  Anyone have any opinions or ideas on this? 

Is there an in person locator someone can recommend?   I have spoken and e mailed back and forth with a locator who is from this area. He would send me someone to locate in person. I just do not know his work and I am not in love with his guarantee ( 120 days/half price to re locate ).

Thanks Steve.  Hey Jimbo.......I will certainly keep that in mind.  I am still at a point where I can only buy a few machines at a time.  Soon.......within the next 45 - 60 days I will be in a position to save a bunch of money and make a large purchase ( 150 singles or more w/ some set up as doubles ). But obviously I have to be comfortable enough with being able to have them located here. The point that was given to me about setting up an area not necessarily that close to where I live may be doable.  I have to see.  And that point you and I discussed before about commission?  I am still open to. 

I spoke with Marjorie of Midwest Distribution last evening.  She has found me 3 more locations. Her and her staff are willing to continue  working with me.  It will be a slow process though.

I want to stay with Marjorie at Midwest Distribution.  I just hope her staff does not pull their hair out finding locations for me in the process.

There was another locator by the name of Nationwide Locations ( Seth Sauberman ) that I have been talking with for a while now.  He was actually helpful to me back in July when I did not know my a*s from my elbow about this business. I was also thinking that since he is from my area he would know and understand the issues which I am sure he does. I just told him today that I am NOT gonna seek his services to have one of his locators come to Nassau County here on Long Island and find 100 locations in about 8-10 days....... @$55 per with a 120 day guarantee at  half price. I just found it impossible to listen to his lectures about how I am getting brainwashed by all the people that I talk with.....ROFL!....... He went on and on today about how replacing locations that dont do well with new locations was a bad idea!  Can you believe this?  When I told him that I had a deal where I get either 90 days or 6 months, depending on the machine in terms of a guarantee from my locator he immediately went into giving me his opinion about that ( again! ) He said that he would work with me personally after these 100 locations were gotten and paid for to help me ' learn ' the business and keep the locations that were found for me. End of story. ( I feel better now ) 

The 3 Dentynes I placed on location today were a bar, and two employee break rooms w/ one at CVS Pharmacy and Modell's sporting goods store. The bar was alot of fun.  I walked in and the owners and barmaid made such a great welcome for me.  They are going to make a strap for the Dentyne machine and secure it to the wall by the entrance so it does not walk away!..... Posted Image 

I got two more spots from Mid West Distribution today.  I will place them on Saturday.  The locations are a hair salon and Victoria Secret in their break room. ( I gotta make sure my hair is combed for that location! )

Good deal Johnny! Let us know how you do on the DI. As you know, I'm very interested now that I have my own on its way. I got the tracking today and it should be here Friday.

Steve

Good job Johnny.

It sounds like you are really starting to place machines. Is the VS in a mall? How many employees do they have? Are these close to your home?

It will be interesting to hear how they do. It sounds like the locator you have working for you is doing a pretty good job so far.

Gary

Hi Gary.......the VictoriaSecret is in a mall. The Modells location is in the same mall.  All the locations she has acquired for me ( 10 ) are within 7 miles of my house. I like working with Marjorie of MidWest.  Her team seem very cool in terms of communicating with me etc. about stuff as they find locations. I am going to gather another 10 or so machines for her team to locate soon. ( probably after the holidays ). My wife and I want to work as a team and go out to see how we do locating.

Deb would take the lead and speak with the managers/owners. I think we stand a better shot if she is the upfront person and does the speaking.

Good deal Johnny! Let us know how you do on the DI. As you know, I'm very interested now that I have my own on its way. I got the tracking today and it should be here Friday.

Steve

Steve......Around 2 more weeks, and I can pull my first 3 DI machines and see how I did. ( Meineke shop, a bar, and Japanese restaurant ). 

Johnny,

As you start building the route you will be able to do placements yourself. It is a lot easiler when you can tell a potential new customer that you have locations that are just like their's already and they are doing great with your machines. You can even tell them what items are selling best it their location. It will show the potential customer that you really know your business. Businesses like to hear about what others are doing.

Good luck pal.

Gary

T-Bird

Once you establish a relationship with management, you may want to ask them if you can "trial" the machine by the front door vs. in the breakroom. You'll still get the employee business but will obviously open your exposure to all the customers too. As DI is a premium, adult oriented product, you should be able to counter any push-back that you typically get with chicles, gumballs, etc.  It's worth a shot! Good luck...

Polecat

Thanks Steve. I will remember that tip.

I placed a DI at a hair salon today.  Victoria Secret got cold feet when called yesterday for a placement date. We will see what happens on Monday when they are called again.

I also found and placed a double at a service station today. ( friend of mine ).