Ant attack!!!

kaiwakong

Today, I recieved a call from the owner of the resturant where i have a machine at and omg there was a lot of ants. replaced that machine and placed double sided tape. Hope that fixes the problem. What are the out comes after using double sided tape? Is it better than vasaline??

I was wondering about this too. I just placed a machine and as a preventative measure I spayed raid on the base and pole. I was thinking about spaying everytime the machines are filled. This has worked for me in a getto golpher house I lived in a few years ago to keep them out of my kitchen.

Kiawa,

Make sure the tape is of sufficient width to trap the ants. Regular scotch tape size won't cut it. Is the tape you are using at least the width of a roll of duct tape?

In addition, make sure your machine is not in contact with anything around it such as curtains, furniture or the wall. Ants will use anything that touches your machine above the tape as a bridge.

Steve

I sure did use a sufficent amount... i could only find ugly off white double sided tape that was 1.5in in width, so i wrapped it twice making it 3 inches in width. Where do you find clear??? Also i moved my machine a little bit over away from the plant. There for no way for the ants to get up there unless they get past the trap tape :)

Yes the Vaseline is another option that I have recently abandoned in favor of the tape. I have noticed that the jelly has a tendency to run down the pole in warmer weather. Also, I find it very messy if I have to move the machine. I usually grab machines at the top of the pole forgetting about the jelly and it gets all over my hands and in turn, it gets on the machine.

Both options work well for their purpose. I choose the tape because its cleaner.

Steve

Let me help you all out...  The best thing to use is Pam (the cooking spray).  I had ants at a location, replaced product and machine, and now I don't!  Spray a modest amount on the base and bottom of the pole.  It’s toxic free and environmentally friendly too.  I wipe down and spray this on every one of my machines every time I service it.  Of course I just started so this is my only testimonial to this tactic.  However it makes sense because the petroleum jelly serves the same principle…they do not like it or can’t crawl through it.

RJ

Let me help you all out...  The best thing to use is Pam (the cooking spray).  I had ants at a location, replaced product and machine, and now I don't!  Spray a modest amount on the base and bottom of the pole.  It’s toxic free and environmentally friendly too.  I wipe down and spray this on every one of my machines every time I service it.  Of course I just started so this is my only testimonial to this tactic.  However it makes sense because the petroleum jelly serves the same principle…they do not like it or can’t crawl through it.

RJ

if i have to spray it everytime i serviced the machine....i'm out.

nuthin like a little vasoline

I bought some double sided carpet tape from home depot, and this stuff is dangerously sticky. It was fairly cheap, and I prefer it to messy vasaline any day. I can only imagine what a parent would say if the kid had vaseline all over them from touching a candy machine...