Pet Food

bacho

Here's another wild though I had. Vendable dog and cat food. It would be a great sales pitch for a vet office. On a triple head you could have dog food on one side and cat food on the other with GB's or PMM's in the middle for little Johnny. My thinking is it can't be any messier than nuts. Sales pitch could be to keep the animal occupied while waiting. 

The cost for the food isn't all that bad when you take into consideration how much food is in a bag of cat or dog chow. I get a 55 lb. bag of Purina Dog Chow for $16.88 and Purina Cat Chow  - 18 lb. bag  for $9.88  at Sam's. As for the big inventory, you could always ziplock them in baggies and freeze it. This will also make for easy transportation and stock refills for the machine.

Let me know what you think because I'm seriously thinking of hitting all the vet offices around here with that concept. Gotta be over 100 of them and I'll start with my own.

I have thought about this also, but my first concern is a kid eating some animal food. Most parents give there kids a quarter and let them have at it, and not all are of reading age, and some candies even look similar. Also I think moths, flies and therefore larvae might be an issue. If you try it out I would NOT put people food on the same machine, and would make it clear with pictures that it is all for animals.

Bacho,

This is an idea that I had as well. I included a line on my website mentioning this. See it here ==> http://caserrivending.com/8.html Its right under the table of products I (used to) offer. (Yeah, this was made when I wanted to offer everything under the sun, before my infamous 1/1 philosophy)

I haven't had any takers on it but I haven't pursued it either. I think a good approach would be to offer the shelter or vet a portion of the proceeds for their benefit.

Also, I would be reluctant to put human edibles in the same machine as dog and cat food. Some states, Massachusetts included, have regulations against such practices.

Steve

I think it is a good idea but let me tell you where to try it. Doggie day spas are opening up all over the place. Yes I said day spas as crazy as it is people are all over this, there is a store on the south end of Charlotte that sells doggie treats for $5.00 ea. These things look like desserts made by a chef in a classy restaraunt. I think it's a doggie deli type place.... some place people can spoil their dogs. Maybe some place like that would be good. I have a friend who is thinking of opening up one of these places within a year or so. If he does maybe I'll try that out.

David

This is why I love this board. Very Good feedback. :) These are all things to think about before I even try it.

David, haven't seen any doggie day spas pop up down here yet. I'll keep my eyes open though. This part of the country is more hunting dogs than anything else. That's why we're called "The Sportsman Paradise".

It would be hard to keep the kids from turning the wrong wheel and it does not sound that good to put dog food and gumballs together !  Although when I took my son to the local Petco here I have trouble keeping him away from all those yummy cookie dog treats !  Oh and yes he got one down his throut before I could stop him OPPS !  He must of liked it though he went back for more ! :shock: