Round of no's need some advice

leo7068

After asking a lot of locations on my lunch break (11 no's) I ran into concerns I have never heard before.

My small two head machine was told it took too much space at a doughnut shop, mongolian, and korean bar-b-que resteraunts. The korean place does excellent too, and they were seriously considering it for 15 minutes as they talked it over in korean!

The tatoo shop said they had one, but it kept making a mess with the kids and spilling on the couch. He also mentioned it was hard to keep a sanitary environment.

They all mentioned concern with kids running around and the thing tripping them or falling over.

The local liquor store said why offer candy when he already sells it, but I know I have seen machines in liquor stores before...

These all seem like valid concerns that more experienced (you) service providers would be able to answer. Please shed some light on my situation and help me realize all these potential locations.

For the tatoo shop: Suggest a different area with the store that might be easier to sweep.

Concern number two:  Get liability insurance (a must for any business) and inform the location of yours.

For the liquor store:  Try to place a product that the owner doesn't already carry. If they sell candy, then sell gum or mints. Anyone who drinks might want a breath freshener from time to time. :)

In other words, try to work around the prospective locations concerns. Think out side the box and don't get caught up in the trap of comiserating with them about their concerns. If all that fails, smile hand them a card and thank them for their time. One never knows.....

Craig

You might even consider going back to each of those no's you had today with different solutions to their rejections. Now that you have had time to think it through. Most of the time we just don't come up with solutions to their no's as fast as they throw them at us. Go through each store in your head and think of as many reasons for them to say yes, and go back and ask again. Tell them where your machine will do best in their store as soon as you walk in. Again, have a few locations in mind.

Good luck

Gary

You might even consider going back to each of those no's you had today with different solutions to their rejections. Now that you have had time to think it through. Most of the time we just don't come up with solutions to their no's as fast as they throw them at us. Go through each store in your head and think of as many reasons for them to say yes, and go back and ask again. Tell them where your machine will do best in their store as soon as you walk in. Again, have a few locations in mind.

Good luck

Gary

This is what I was thinking, but I am trying very hard to use the same machines and products. I might offer a single head gumball machine with a more kid friendly stand.

As far as rushing through the sales pitch I might be, but I don't know how others do it.

Here is my current location seeking method:

I park in a shopping center on one end or the other.

I take out my completely stocked and ready to go machine and carry it to the first non-franchise or corporate location.

Ask for the descision maker, manager, or owner.

Do my pitch about how I donate to charity (show sticker on front), I clean it, refill it, maintain it, it improves customer and employee morale, pacifies youngsters, imporves value of their bussiness, need nothing from them but a spot to place it. Show contact info (bussiness card on back of machine) and suggest they try it for a week.

If I get a yes I place it and go back to the car for another fully ready machine. If they say no I move on down the line.

I usually spend about 5-15 minutes at each location depending on their response.

I have pretty much run out of possibilities at my nearest shopping center/plaza, so I am moving a block down today to try all the next locations.

I don't think I would like to lug around a vending machine everywhere I go.  My method is fairly straight forward and do everything that you do, except I don't bring in the machine, but rather information and professional photo's of the machine.  If they say yes, I go back to the truck, and place it, if not, I move on.  To me, lugging this around trying to find a location reminds me of the vacuum cleaner salesmen going door to door.  One other thing that is a possibility though is bring in samples of the candy and gum that you vend and allow the employees or manager sample what you have, and allow them to decide what to put in the machine.

There's a post somewhere around here that also goes into detail about placing machines in breakrooms, which do awesome.....Focus on the high employee business's such as factories, and you'll do fine....From what I found, they usually say yes simply because they don't care either way....

I think I don't have the best vehicle for this type of bussiness also. I drive a small two seater 2001 Mercedes Benz SLK 320. I am able to fit one complete machine in the passenger seat, which commutes with me to work, so I can try locating after work. Another one with the heads seperated from the stand fits in the trunk, and I might be able to fit another 1 or 2 if I really break them down to basic parts, but I think if I really get into this I will need an old van or something.

If you take the base off the machines you can fit about 5-6 units in your back seat. I but cardboard between them so they don't get marked up. In most cases you won't sell more than that in a day. You can also bring along product to fill them with in your truck. Carry the best sellers. You should know what sells best in your area. If the account wants something other than what you have you can always come back with it the next time you are in the area.

Like Vendingguy, have pictures of the machines I want to place. I have pictures that are laminated and others that are just copies that I can leave with the account. This is much easier than dragging a machine from store to store.

The good thing about these selling options is you can move along faster from store to store and the products don't have to be fliping around on your back seat while you go from shopping center to shopping center.

Gary