Location within location....Very Important

joebob051977

I have a 3 head machine in our Humane Society and does pretty good. About $30/mo. I went and checked my machine. It got moved from one side of the room to the other side because it was where they wanted their christmas tree. I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but it did. I only got $7.00 Ouch. Doesn't even pay for the M&M's I replaced the gumballs with. Can't wait to go back next month and move my machine back.

I have similar experiences like this all the time. I have one restaurant where I used to be located right next to the cash register where I was bringing in around $20 a month. They moved my machine across the room to where it can not be seen by those paying their bill. This month I pulled $3.75 from it. It is on a 6 week cycle too.

I agree, location within a location is very important.

Steve

Great topic, joebob.  Can folks chip in and talk about what they eye as the most desirable spot when they are locating?  Obvsiouly the 'rule' seems to be more visible=better.  But where are the most visible spots?  Next to the register?  In the foyer?   Where do you look first for availability?

I think the foyer, or somewhere in the flow of entering and exiting traffic. You want to find a place that will not exclude anyone from viewing it. Not everyone in a dinner party will make the trip to the register to pay. Not everyone will make a trip to the restroom so that hallway is out. However, everyone will enter and exit the building from the same point. Position it in a place where everyone will have a chance to view it at some point during their visit. In most cases, thats the entry-way.

Steve 

I have a bar/grill that can make $40-50 a month ! That is what it was making the first 2 months , but then it was move to the lobby entrance and made much less and then was robbed and broken.  I since then fixed it and put it back in the spot where I had it at first right in front of the bar and next to the Jukebox !  I think the other vendor that is in there moved my machine to the front and put in his m&m's and Mike'N ike and chicklets next to the jukebox.  I was next to the jukebox first and I moved his back and regained my spot !  I am really doing good with the cashues in it I pull at least $20 out a month so I am sure that other vendor could not have been doing that well with what he had in there.:P 

Here are some of the terms that we used at the job I retired from 2 years ago. They are the biggest snack food company in the world. We where always looking for the best location to place snack racks.

They always said your display equipment should be within arms distance, 5'-6', from the register. Candy, like chips, is an impulse item. (95% of the customers do not plan to buy candy during their visit but while they are on line or have loose change, will throw a few quarters in to your vending machine).

We also watched the traffic flow in a store to determine the "Golden Path", which is the most used path customers use.

Examples: Front door to the register, front door to the soda fountain- to the register, etc. If you use these simple steps, you will always find the best locations possible.

Now, when I place my vending equipment I look at the store and decide the location before I even ask for approval.

Each month when I collect, if the collection isn't as good as I thought, I will move the machine to a different location. Sometimes just turning it to face the "Golden Path" could double your sales.

The next time, you are in your accounts, try this theory and watch your sales grow.

The hardest part of vending is getting the placement. Once you are inside it's up to you to find the best location within the account.

Gary

Here are some of the terms that we used at the job I retired from 2 years ago. They are the biggest snack food company in the world. We where always looking for the best location to place snack racks.

They always said your display equipment should be within arms distance, 5'-6', from the register.

We also watched the traffic flow in a store to determine the "Golden Path", which is the most used path customers use.

Examples: Front door to the register, front door to the soda fountain- to the register, etc. If you use these simple steps, you will always be in the best location possible.

Now, when I place my vending equipment I look at the store and decide the location before I even ask for approval.

Each month when I collect, if the collection isn't as good as I thought, I will move the machine to a different location. Sometimes just turning it to face the "Golden Path" could double your sales.

The next time you are in one of your accounts try this theory and watch your sales grow.

Gary

THIS is what the forum is all about!  Awesome post Gary, thanks for the info.

-Lucero