Route vs. Locations

black panther

I have a question for those experienced vendors that let's say have more than 25 machines and locations.  There is, as it appears to me, a very loose use of the term "route" on here in connection to locations.  Would like some viewpoints and actualities if possible.

My understanding of a route is several locations close by that can be serviced relatively easily.  The more machines you have, you may have several small routes serviced on different days but none the less close and easily serviceable.  Versus having locations scattered all over the place as what I gather from others on here.  Also a route would try to eliminate as much left turns as possible, number of miles, stops, etc.  I will most likely end up with several small routes for my machines.  May have 30 here, 30 in the next town, etc but look for proximity and serviceability.

I had a paper route at the age of 12-15.  I had 2 streets. I went down one side of the first street and back up, then crossed over to the other street and did the same.  THAT is a Route.

I know you will not have a strip mall for all locations so that can walk down and service 10 machines lets say in one stop but can happen but not the norm.  Looking at like UPS and other service people and how they service and have routes.

Thanks in advance for feedback and how your routes/locations are set up.  Preparing for my locater coming this month and what to expect or push for.  He has talked to me about a "ROUTE" and not scattered locations so hope works out that way.  Although, if have a $150+ isolated location, think anybody would go out to get that.:D

Guess I should define close in my determination.  Would say a couple to a few mile radius.  I have seen people have a few (1-5) machines in one town and another few in other towns requiring many driving miles between machines.  Seems awfully scattered and not really a route.

If you can Build a good route with stops that are all in same area that would be fantastic but that also means you are leaving lots of ground uncovered. I have 600 heads out on locations throughout Connecticut. I drive an average of 200 miles per collection Day. I try to see between 20-40 stops depending on layout.

I am building my route from my home town outward but I never say no to a potential customer. I would say it depends on your total # of machines when it comes to how far you want to go.

I can drive almost 80 miles away from my house and start my day driving back to my hometown. Ill do dozens of locations on my way back home. Bulk vending is a Numbers game. You have to have lots of accounts to make a living at it.

Our Amusement vending route is made p of about 250 locations. Each collector has his 5-15 stops a day, everyday. So we consider the whole business the route but each day we service a different part of the route.

Bulk vending is collected one day a week, 20-40 stops by one collector. The closer the stops are together, the more the collector can service. He may have a day he has to drive over an hour to his first stop and work his way back to the shop.

In both cases we are statewide. Biggest in Connecticut. Lots of the little vendors choose to stay only local and that leaves lots of great locations for us and only us.

If your plan is to run a small route for some extra cash then local is not a bad way to do it. If you want to make a living vending you have to go where the customers are.

Your locator is talking to you about a route because he wants to set you up for a quick score. This is the number one reason you never purchase machines as part of a "package" deal from anyone. He has no relationship with you and is probably never going to see you again. His focus will be on putting machines out as quick as possible and as close together as he can.

If you are going to use in person locators (which are few and far between) try to find one and develop an ongoing relationship. If he knows he is coming back he will be more receptive to finding good locations...instead of just any place that will say yes.

You should develop a "no" list before you hit the street with any locator. We have a long list of locations we will not take: florists, insurance offices, C stores and other places that won't support a machine.

It will take years of trial and error to build good routes. We have 20 routes now with 25-30 locations each. Our emphasis has always been on getting good locations that produce revenue. Locating and relocating is a constant in this biz so get used to it.

chuck