Vending dog biscuits at pet stores and vets

acvending

What do you guys think of that idea. When I was in Petsmart the other day I realized that with people bringing their dogs shopping with them that maybe a single filled with those real small dog biscuits would be a good idea and donating a small percentage of the proceeds to the local humane society or similar group. I actually ran a test today using an onhand Vendstar 3000 and some tiny bone shaped biscuits I bought for my dog at Petsmart. It worked fairly well though they did intermittently get jammed in the wheel and broke up. The inconsistentsy of the bone shape may be the problem. Not sure if another type of machine would handle them better. If I can find a more rounded doggie treat or a smaller size bone shape one it may work better in the machine, though the bone shape is visually nicer. Using the Vendstar candy wheel opened all the way the ones I tested vended 2 of them at a time, that is when they did not get jammed and break up. My plan would be a single head machine, possibly the Amerivend Starline 16 but I'll have to buy another one to test as our only one is placed now. Hopefully it would vend the biscuits more smoothly than the Vendstar and not jam.

Adam

Hate to be the party pooper, but you will never get in the door at Petsmart, or Petco. Plus, having dog treats in a bulk machine is spelling disaster. 

Kyle

Did Bob Butler give a reason for that, or is that just unadulterated speculation?

Argh! It kills me to say this, but I kind of agree with Kyle about the disaster potential. A golden can take out a single head like it was a toy, especially if it's filled with treats. Any damage that the single head does to the store or the dog could be very costly.

Regards,

Philo

Argh! It kills me to say this, but I kind of agree with Kyle about the disaster potential. A golden can take out a single head like it was a toy, especially if it's filled with treats. Any damage that the single head does to the store or the dog could be very costly.

Regards,

Philo

I personally don't think there is much of a chance to place a doggy-biscuit vendor because both those stores have loose dog-biscuits for sale.  However, that's just my guess.  I do think there might be possibility for candy vending with all the little tykes coming in and out... with a secured machine or rack setup :)

I highly doubt I would be able to get into a Petsmart of Petco but there are a bunch of vets in my area as well as groomers and kennels. We also have one independently owned pet market in area that much like the big chain stores gets customers with dogs in tow. Good point about the machine being knocked over by the dogs though. Didn't think of that and that will be something I would take into consideration when I place them. I could possibly place them on countertops without the stand when its feasible. So thanks for making that point.  Also I can simply stick to vending candy in them but still use the humane society donation angle. Since parents tend to go to these places with kids in tow it may still work out but I still like the idea of offering a snack for Fido, especially with the humane society donation angle. Its cute :-)

Oh and regarding someones point the these places give out free biscuits already. My hope is that because its a donation for animals people would do it anyway. Again, I will simply test the waters with this idea. I think its worth a shot.