How to approach my employer

WakeRider01

My job is relocating to a new lot which will need at least 3+ soda machines and 1+ snack machine. This is a perfect opportunity to see about stocking the facility with vending machines. Just looking for advice on how to approach The Boss-man and any idea what the start up would be to do this (it may be out of my costs). Sorry to sound so ignorant but I am new at this and just starting researching.

Thanks!

just ask them, Having someone on site maybe you best selling point . any problems You'll be there to Fix them Make sure Your prices will be lower than the competition   and most of all

guarantee Great service

let me know how it goes

Alan ^-^

[

First things first. Does he know that you do vending on the side. Would that cause problems at work?

If he knows then just say "Hey rember that I told you I started a vending business on the side, Well I was thinking the it would be a great idea for me to provide the vending services for our new offices. I will be able to see the machines daily and if there is ever a problem, I can fix it on my next break or after work.....

If he does not know then you have to feel out how he reacts to you telling him about the side business.

From expereince, You will be known as the vending guy and bugged about every little problem because you are there. I am happy with providing vending at my work, makes checking on my machines easier. Just be ready for the extra attention you will have to give them due to being accessible every day.

Thanks for the responses. This would be my first location, so I've never done it on the side. Our current work location we have one Coca-cola machine that is stocked and maintained by coca-cola. It is a older model and honestly I hardly ever see them out for repairs. So I hate to bring up issues with machines but it is true I would be on-site to fix them. As a top manager for the company I think I have a good chance of landing this job and we have allot of business that comes in as well as employees in the office and in the warehouse. Hope this works! Hopefully my next post would be about purchasing my first machines...  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just remember you will be selling to your co-workers, and you may get some backlash from people that you should be selling things to them cheaper, or at cost (them assuming you can buy soda for 5cents a can or something silly like that).  I know it would have worked at some of my past jobs, but not at others. Remember the social factor not just the $$$ factor.

As a top manager for the company I think I have a good chance of landing this job and we have allot of business that comes in as well as employees in the office and in the warehouse. Hope this works! Hopefully my next post would be about purchasing my first machines...  :)

I think you need to treat this very carefully.  I ran into this issue at my work.  Because I am one of the top managers at my office, and my staff worked there, my bosses had a problem as it could be construed as a conflict of interest.  As in, they were afraid (and company legal agreed) that even if I didn't pressure my staff to purchase items from the machine (which I would profit from), that the impression that I was forcing my staff to purchase from my machines was something that I could never overcome.  Because of this, I was told that I could not provide service to my office.

It sucked because I had the machines in my office for almost a year before anyone knew that it was mine.....and once it became public knowledge I had to remove a snack, a soda and a bulk machine.

Travis

my bosses had a problem as it could be construed as a conflict of interest.  As in, they were afraid (and company legal agreed) that even if I didn't pressure my staff to purchase items from the machine (which I would profit from), that the impression that I was forcing my staff to purchase from my machines was something that I could never overcome.  Because of this, I was told that I could not provide service to my office.

That is why I hate laywers!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived