First Steps

DownTime

I have been lurking, reading and learning here for a few days, and figure it was time to jump in and introduce myself.

I have looked at and into vending for many years, and for a number of reasons (excuses) never made the leap. That just changed. Got the bug to look again and found an interesting listing on Craig's List for 5 triplehead machines on location.

Ended up the seller had a total of 10 machines on location and 6 more used machines in the garage. All Vendstar 3000's. I bought the lot for $1,000. Good or bad deal, it got me in the game. I took ownership 4 days ago. Five minutes after I pulled away from closing the deal, the seller phoned me and said she just got me another location. I placed that machine today. So I have 11 on the street.

I set some goals for myself for 2008. Have 20 machines. Have all 20 machines placed. Have all 20 machines at or above $10.00/month, or move to a new location. Then we will see. I know I have a lot to learn. Already figured out the Sam's may be a better supplier than Costco. Too bad as Costco is much closer. I don't know how easy or difficult it will be to make these goals. If they are easy, I will establish some new goals later in the year.

I believe some of the locations are marginal. Some of that may be to lack of attention. So we will see what some focus and care can do.  I am in the process of restocking (cleaning out the old candy as some looks a little stale) and cleaning all the machines.

I spent some time shopping on ebay over the last couple of weeks and managed to pick-up 5 more Vendstars, 3 of them new, all local, so no shipping.

I found lots of good advice and information on this site so far, and will keep reading and start posting.

Best of luck and a great 2008 to all.

Great job DownTime

Way to take action and overcome fears.  Will be mistakes and plenty to learn as we all do along the way but now you have motivation to further gather more knowledge and can apply what you have learned.

Welcome aboard and Best of luck to you.  Make sure you post your progress and numbers each month.

Welcome Downtime! It's nice to see someone else in the area with the same interests. Starting out in bulk is very exiting. You will not be sorry that you took the plunge. You are off to a great start by setting realistic goals. Keep us posted on your progress. Let me know if I can help you. :)  Good luck!

Lew