Removing Label Residue

DownTime

This is  a method I have been using to remove labels from plastic surfaces with good success. It is a multi-step process, and works for paper labels and labels with a laminated surface.

• If you are starting with a laminated label, first peel the smooth (mylar?)  surface off, leaving the paper backing with the adhesive on the plastic. Do not scrape, just use your fingernail to get under the edge and peel slowly
  • The next step is the same for either a paper label, or the paper remains of a laminated label. Soak the paper label in hot soapy water for sufficient time to allow the paper to separate from the adhesive. It may take an hour or so depending on the materials, maybe less. The paper should wash of with light rubbing of a wash rag. This will leave the adhesive exposed on the plastic.
  • Now the trick! Rub a small amount of vegetable oil over the adhesive. Let stand. I find this takes a while, so usually leave it overnight. Wash in hot soapy water and you should have a clean, smooth plastic surface with no label adhesive residue.
If you have to scrub hard in either step, let it soak longer.

I find the vegetable oil will not damage the plastic. I have done this on both clear and colored plastics. If working with a colored plastic, you will see a color difference where the label protected the plastic from sun light. With clear plastic you can see where the label was since the plastic is smoother, again from the label protecting the surface.

So far this is working well on my Vendstar 3000's both the body and the clear lens.

This might be a stupid question but doesn't using a hair dryer work?  I worked at a place a few years back and to take labels off boxes we used a heat source like a blow dryer?  Just a thought and may not work for this type of application but was wondering if someone tried that?  Theory is adhesive warms up and you can peel label all in tack without scrapping.  Worked GREAT at my prior employer.

Thanks for the info I have asked this question before on kickstart .  I have about five extra canisters I need to get clean going to have to try the veg oil trick.  I did try the goo be gone and it discolored my vendstar 3000 canister.  Question can it only be veg oil what about canola oil, virgin olive oil ?

Hi Tiffeney,

I, like you, am running Vendstars.

(I bought mine used though).

I used Goo Gone - Citrus Power on all the exterior labels on

appx. 35 canisters, and none of them discolored.

What type of discoloring are you talking about?

Did it yellow the plastic, or did it just leave the plastic

looking dull and cloudy?

If it's just a little dull I was able to polish them back to

almost new looking with a little Mag Polish from an auto

supply store.

Just a suggestion.

Dave

I have only used good old corn oil, but I think canola or olive oil will work. Nice part is it is food safe.

I was also cleaning out one of my canisters that had cashews in it. I smeared the inside of the lens with oil and let it sit over night. It was a noticeable  improvement, not perfect but better then after I washed it with soap and water.

Goo Gone works for me also. You do have to be careful that you have a clean rag though. If there is any grit on the rag it will scratch the plastic.

It may be safe for food surfaces but I still wash the canister out with hot water and soap just to be sure. It also works great on metal parts too.

Pizz, I will have to try your home made Pizz "Goo Gone"

Gary

Tiffeney,

The Mag Polish I use is...

Mothers - Mag and Aluminum Polish.

It will make your Vendstar canisters shine like new!

I think it's probably the cheapest around here, so whatever

is cheapest up there would probably work too.

Just to be clear, I use it only on the outside of the canisters,

I don't use any chemicals on the inside of the canisters that

are not food safe. :)

Dave