Top Locks (camlock for bulk)

grumpy

http://www.camlock.com/English(UK)/HTML/Pr_Detail51F8.php

I recieved two samples of these locks back in Nov - 07 and installed them on a double beaver setup in Jan -08. (yea I know I'm fast)

First for the bias part I LOVE QUARTER TURN LOCKS. :)

Now, it took me such a long time as I had to order a replacement body without the cash box glued into the bottom and locking cash drawers (which I love)

Fit and finish is great, but it is a pain to setup the first time especialy alone. You put the body and the globe on the rod, then put the stainless steel sleeve adapter on the rod tight (threadlock is probably a good idea here) line the slot in the adater at 12 and 6 (o'clock) now test fit. here is were the pain begins as you only have a quarter turn of play. Lift the body and globe and re-adjust making sure to finish with the sleeve at 6 - 12.

Once installed the servicing is a breeze as long as you do not need to remove the globe all together (doesnt fit through the conversion hole), but fills are more of a pleasure as you do not need to turn and turn and turn. As a bonus because I needed to get cash drawers for this experiement I do not need to open the top if a fill is not needed.

The draw back for me is the cost of a new body, new rods and a cashdrawer $52.05 before tax per head I have 365 heads that means it would be a $20,000.00 retrofit for me. I don't think so. But for those who have cashdrawers already, what a great time saving feature, and easy on the wrist too for about $8.00 in bulk!

Grumpy

I just talked to Xoe and Dale at camlock, it seems the RB 16 is the problem child of beaver equipmet. But not all is lost as there maybe a work around and I will have to give it a shot as I really like quarter turn locks from camlock. The work around requires drilling the conversion hole to 21/64ths, I will have to do it to see if there is enough meat left for standard operation. Also found out you can order some North Westerns with it installed at the factory.

Grumpy

Hmmmmm......after reading what you wrote here, I am not sure I want to pursue this BV 90 quarter turn device on my LYPCs. The install seems like a real pain. and what happens if I do have to remove the globe?  Like what if I need to change the product to something else Grumpy?

Well without trying it I don't know, but how often will you change the product anyway? Also they tested with many different makes and the Beaver RB16 was the only real failure or problem from what I gathered, Your LYPC may not have any problems removing the globe with the adapter on the rod. Your conversion may have a larger center hole. See if you can get a demo for the globe and cash box and give it the old Kipper Try.:)

Grumpy

• 10 months later...

Moving forward, I want to change out all of my locks to a camlock style with my own number for safety and security reasons.  There are two websites I have.  One is the camlock website and the other is a ' cheaper camlock ' website.  First question is:

1.  Is there a difference in product?  Are they the same on both sites?

2.  Is the option for the lock to fit on a 5/16-18 threaded rod the rods used in the chinese made machines like LYPC, XYZ, and Seaga?

http://www.camlock.com/English(UK)/HTML/PR_Lockinginserts1F.php

http://www.wixerind.com/catalog/2007_catalog/page_17.htm