I just don't get it!

biggmike

I spent the day searching for new locations and I guess I just never really paid attention but just about every other location that had machines already in place were in terrible condition. One flats machine was jammed and when I pushed (really hard) I was able to get it to go in and it actually vended a tattoo. Some kid is :angry:. I went to another business that has a single gumball machine and the owner asked if he could help me I said it looked like he had it covered he said the guy had not been there in months and did not return calls so he said "I'll put his in back" and told me to place mine. The last thing I try to do is step on toes but the gum was faded and he asked me to place mine, I didn't ask him. The last was in a small restaurant that did not have a machine and the owner said "go ahead but the last guy had old nasty candy that I wouldn't let his own kid eat." I was happy to place one there also. Just wondering. Am I missing something here? Why do people go through all the trouble to place machines then basically abandon them.

Am I missing something here? Why do people go through all the trouble to place machines then basically abandon them.

I've been asking myself this question for a long time. This business consists mostly of people who don't care about their business, or any business. Bulk vending attracts a lot of blue collar workers who often don't have much of an education, much less the passion for success and strong work ethic. It takes a bit of everything. I think they see this business as "easy" and don't realize they'll have to exert a little thing called effort in order to make it work. The other factor is the expense involved in starting a business. In order for a business to become self-sufficient, you really need to have a strong cash flow to nurture it to stand on it's own two feet. That usually means investing tens of thousands of dollars at the very least. Most people don't get to that point.

Too many unrealistic expectations.

Profits

I here a lot of responses of how this happens. I think finally someone has written the real reason people abandon machines. Profits I think your answer is the real reason. Make sure everyone on this board reads your response.

Profits

I here a lot of responses of how this happens. I think finally someone has written the real reason people abandon machines. Profits I think your answer is the real reason. Make sure everyone on this board reads your response.

It could, however, be entirely based on people giving up after realizing it was more work than they expect it to be.

I really have no idea.

What I do know is that 90% of all businesses fail nearly immediately because of underfinancing.

I spent the day searching for new locations and I guess I just never really paid attention but just about every other location that had machines already in place were in terrible condition. One flats machine was jammed and when I pushed (really hard) I was able to get it to go in and it actually vended a tattoo. Some kid is :angry:. I went to another business that has a single gumball machine and the owner asked if he could help me I said it looked like he had it covered he said the guy had not been there in months and did not return calls so he said "I'll put his in back" and told me to place mine. The last thing I try to do is step on toes but the gum was faded and he asked me to place mine, I didn't ask him. The last was in a small restaurant that did not have a machine and the owner said "go ahead but the last guy had old nasty candy that I wouldn't let his own kid eat." I was happy to place one there also. Just wondering. Am I missing something here? Why do people go through all the trouble to place machines then basically abandon them.

I have had the same exact experiences here and this is also the reason I decided to get into vending. At first, I thought it would be tough to get a machine placed anywhere and now I see the exact same thing Mike does. The nice thing about taking a shiny new Meaver machine is that it immediatley sells itself and your business. It may cost another $50 to buy, but they sure place fast and easy when the competition has dirty, beatup, glues up, taped up machines.

Profits

If you like it that much, why not hit him up with a positive rep point! wink.gif

Thanks to some poor servicing like this I am targeting my first rack location. They already have a pair of Tomy machines, a rack that hasn't been serviced in a long time, and some other odds & end machines. But I placed a couple new Toy heads in and spoke to the manager about replacing their current machines. I knew the Tomy machines would be causing them trouble...they do. And I guessed that they'd want to get rid of the eye sore rack...they do. So I will be making frequent stops until I can at least take over one (or all) of those spots.

Thanks to a few vendors who've basically abandoned the spot. Surprising considering that it's doing well enough to support all those machines.

Steve

How is that done?

Thanks

Each post has a "plus" icon in the lower right corner. (see pic) Simply click it once to add a reputation point to the members profile. The post will be marked as "Popular" and the reputation status of post author will increase by one.

Rep points can be given throughout the forum and accumulate indefinitely.

You can also see who gave a rep point by clicking on the number next to the plus icon, if there is one.

post-1-0-02012200-1303763606_thumb.png

In addition to the reputation points, each thread can be rated as well. There is a 5 star vote system at the top of each thread in the upper right. If you would like to rate any thread, simply click on the number of stars you would like to give it. (see pic)

post-1-0-82898800-1303763835_thumb.png

Archived