Scales

coin_king

Has anyone here put any thought into vending scales for people to weigh themselves on?  They are excellent money earners with no products to worry about , low maintenance and suit plenty of locations  especially pharmacy’s or doctor’s waiting room’s etc. Another area for revenue maybe not thought of.

Well I operate them and the do make money, allot more then you would think. And once they have paid for themselves its all profits. The scales I use are battery powered so there are no power leads to worry about and it makes them mobile for the store owner to move about.

Oh, ok.  Well in that case.....

What machine do you opeate?

How much does it cost?

Do you give the location a commission, if so what rate?

What kind of batteries does it need?

How often do the batteries need to be replaced?

What is the cost for the customer to use the scale?

What locations have you found to work?

I ask all these questions because I'm always open to incorporating something new, especially something with no inventory.

Thanks.

Brian

Oh, ok.  Well in that case.....

What machine do you opeate?

How much does it cost?

Do you give the location a commission, if so what rate?

What kind of batteries does it need?

How often do the batteries need to be replaced?

What is the cost for the customer to use the scale?

What locations have you found to work?

I ask all these questions because I'm always open to incorporating something new, especially something with no inventory.

X2.  Same questions for me.

The Scales I use are from Impulse Amusements in California, there the only battery operated scales I know of  and the cost is around $1000 I’m not from the use so the coinage for use is different here  but I would say a quarter  for the customer is sufficient .  They take 8 D cell battery's and will last generally around a year before changing them, sometime it’s  sooner and other times its a bit longer. The locations I found to work best are pharmacy's & entries to toilets but anywhere that’s has allot of foot traffic will work well too, and for commission just start at the lowest and work your way up till they are happy to put one in maybe 10-15% start with.

• 1 month later...

I guess you could check ebay for used machines. Depending on how old you are, they use to be very popular in restrooms, subways, bus depots, drug stores, etc.

I was talking to a store owner when I was first out looking for new spots to place vending machines. He told me that he worked for a guy in New York City back in the 30's or 40's that had those huge vending scales that weighed a ton. He said they cost a dime and people would stop every day to check their weight. He said the guy who owned them made so much money that he would hide it in his basement. He had bags and bags of dimes. He said that the guy had a contract with the subway system so he had it made.

Sorry. Anyway, it may work in some locations but I haven't seen them anywhere for a long, long time.

Here they are new...

http://www.e-vending.com/scale_machines.htm

Gary

• 1 month later...

The Scales I use are from Impulse Amusements in California, there the only battery operated scales I know of  and the cost is around $1000 I’m not from the use so the coinage for use is different here  but I would say a quarter  for the customer is sufficient .  They take 8 D cell battery's and will last generally around a year before changing them, sometime it’s  sooner and other times its a bit longer. The locations I found to work best are pharmacy's & entries to toilets but anywhere that’s has allot of foot traffic will work well too, and for commission just start at the lowest and work your way up till they are happy to put one in maybe 10-15% start with.

What type of pharmacies would you locate them in? (Target Pharmacies, Walgreens, Minute Clinics?)

Also I found someone near me selling one of these impluse amusement machines for $220

nothing is wrong with it - the guy told me "The machine was used in a gas station bathroom which went out of business and the new owner who acquired the machine does not want to use it and wants to sell it."

Should I buy this machine for $220? If so where should I place it?

You may have issues getting in to chain accounts like CVS, Walgreens, etc. You may have to look for independent accounts that the owner is the decision maker. Maybe larger convenience/gas stations, rest areas, bus stations, car washes, etc.

I don't know if that is a good price. Is there anyway of checking the model/brand on the web to see what they are selling for? That would be your best bet.

This is out of my field so Good Luck. Let me know how you do.

Gary