Mike and Ikes, Hot Tamales sticking together

JLM Vending

One disadvantage of hot tamales and mike and ikes is that sometimes they stick together and you never know if that's going to cause any misvends. How do you deal with softer candies?

Put them in a big bowl; spray a small amount of Pam on them and mix; store in an air tight container; or

Spray a Wooden spoon with Pam and stir product.

It does not take much Pam so one or two quick blasts is all you need.

What I always did was spray the inside of a gallon sized ziploc. One small squirt on each side is plenty. Be careful not to spray too much in the baggie because it will make the candy look too shiny. Then transfer the candy into the ziploc and shake it up to coat the candy. Putting them in ziplocks also makes it easier to transfer the candy to the machine. It eliminates the use of a scissors at the customers establishment.

Do i need to spray the mike ikes, tamales once they are in the machine? The spray can wear off, so just wondering how to keep them apart.

It wouldn't hurt to spray them after they have been in there a couple months. Spray a wooden spoon lightly as Jim suggested and stir them up. It also loosens clumps that forms near the wheel. DO NOT spray the product directly.

I always sprayed the handle because it made it easier to stir. You can pick them up at Walmart for a buck.

Now i can see your starting to notice the fallacy of candy vending, join the toy vendors. JOIN US!!! grin.gif

Well I am, i have a couple of toy spots, but you have to remember I still have to stick to all the machines i bought. I still have some well producing spots, so im gonna do both. But i admit im dam tired of all the malfunctions and people complaining,etc.. Especially when you have a spot that does 10 bucks and everytime you go there you get a complaint about it not working. Sucks. I wonder if toy vending makes any difference as far as that.

Anyways i just called U turn and now i understand what to do. I think im gonna stick to hard candy in the future and slowly transition to toys. I have a couple of toy spots now and they do ok but i haven't noticed much difference in revenue, however the maintenance is much less of a hassle.

so stir the product in the canister while its on location? Im having a slightly hard time picturing this, sorry.

How else would you do it if you already have it in the machine? That was your question. Not?

That's the only way you can do it if it's in the machine, unless you take it out of the machine and replace it with fresh candy. Or, as you stated, stick with hard candy.

How else would you do it if you already have it in the machine? That was your question. Not?

That's the only way you can do it if it's in the machine, unless you take it out of the machine and replace it with fresh candy. Or, as you stated, stick with hard candy.

So what i do is spray the wooden handle directly and do NOT spray the candy directly. Then just mix it around. Now there is no walmart around here, do you have any suggestions where else i can get the wooden spoon? U turn said it's a plastic spoon that looks wooden. Also would a pasta type spoon be better for loosening up the candy since they are more pointy? I know im rambling here, it's just that i want to get this right so I can improve upon this erroneous servicing experience.

Is spraying the wooden/plastic handle going to affect every piece of candy enough when you stir it? That is the main question.

No, it will not hit every piece. You don't want to coat the candy. It will look shiny and leave somewhat of an after taste. It will also feel greasy to the touch. But it will hit enough candy to prevent clumping. If your candy is in there more than 4 months, you need to change it anyway.

So what i do is spray the wooden handle directly and do NOT spray the candy directly. Then just mix it around. Now there is no walmart around here, do you have any suggestions where else i can get the wooden spoon? U turn said it's a plastic spoon that looks wooden. Also would a pasta type spoon be better for loosening up the candy since they are more pointy? I know im rambling here, it's just that i want to get this right so I can improve upon this erroneous servicing experience.

You can pick up a wooden spoon at your grocery store. If you have a Kmart, they should have them also. Probably can find them at a dollar store too. Just check around and you'll eventually find one. ;)

No, it will not hit every piece. You don't want to coat the candy. It will look shiny and leave somewhat of an after taste. It will also feel greasy to the touch. But it will hit enough candy to prevent clumping. If your candy is in there more than 4 months, you need to change it anyway.

You can pick up a wooden spoon at your grocery store. If you have a Kmart, they should have them also. Probably can find them at a dollar store too. Just check around and you'll eventually find one. ;)

Just went to Kmart, however the spoon i got is plastic but sturdy.

Archived