Buying my first machines

DayStar Vending

Hi Group,

I am new to vending (as the title of this post would imply), and I am ready to purchase my first machines. I am going to start off slow, as many here suggest. For my first two machines, I am thinking a gumball machine, and a 1" capsule toy machine. I mainly want to stick with toys and gum, in the early stages anyway. As you all know, there are many different machine manufactures out there. I want to buy new, and not used. Nothwestern and Beaver seem to be the top two, but I of course could be wrong. Any advice on a tried and true machine would be great - I am not afraid to pay for quality. Also, how do you get the quarters out of these machines when you service? It seems a bit crude/time consuming to remove the candy globe, and reach in and pick quarters out of the bottom by hand. I assume there is a better way that you will share, such as some sort of "quarter catcher" that can be easily lifted out, and the quarters put in a bag.

Many thanks in advance, I really like this forum a lot, it has been a great resource for me as I was making my mind up to start a small candy vending business. :)

if you get northwestern or A&A machines they do make a plastic tray for the bottom of the one inch machines. its up to you if you want to do new machines or used ones if you go used you can get them a a good price u just have to watch that the used machines dont look like crap. gum and toys is a great way to start also think about if you find a really good spot think of a rack small 4 or 5 rack you will see the difference in a rack to a double or a single. but no matter what you do welcome to the world of vending and good luck

Hi Kelly,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, and your great advice. I am going to look at the Beaver machines now, and brand vending! I can't wait to get this little side business of the ground - with folks like you around, I feel very confident going forward! :)

---

Hi, Welcome aboard. You are headed in the right direction with gumballs, toys and quality machines. You will recieve different opinions about which machines you should begin with. If price is not an issue go with beaver, as IMO they are the best I have RB 16 Beaver's, Northwestern super 60's , 80's and A&A p95's in my fleet.

I believe if you purchase new machines they will have the "coin trays" in machine at bottom of base. If you go with NW or A&A when servicing you dont have to take globe and body off, you can just unlock lid and grab body with both hands and lift up about 2 or 3 " and give a 1/4 turn and sit body cross cornered on base (hope this doesn't confuse you) and retrieve coin tray. With Beaver you must take globe and body completly off. This is not to time consuming once you get good at it, I always like to remove globe on all machines just to make sure "timing" (hole is lined up over chute) is correct each service cycle.

When ordering Beaver machines all you need is capsule wheels for both 1"toys,bouncy balls and gumballs. No need for gumball wheel. Dont forget to purchase .50cent mechs for 1" toys.

I order most my 1" from Brand vending, but there are a few good suppliers out there. Just make sure they are not resellers. I hope this post helps you. Good luck!

Many thanks! I do like the idea of getting a rack. There is a new grocery store going in down the street from me, and I am working hard trying to seal the deal. That would be a premo contract, if I can land it!! I will of course have a rack for this location! Wish me luck! :)

if you get northwestern or A&A machines they do make a plastic tray for the bottom of the one inch machines. its up to you if you want to do new machines or used ones if you go used you can get them a a good price u just have to watch that the used machines dont look like crap. gum and toys is a great way to start also think about if you find a really good spot think of a rack small 4 or 5 rack you will see the difference in a rack to a double or a single. but no matter what you do welcome to the world of vending and good luck

I have a fleet of Northwesterns and love them. Easier and faster to service. Half of them are the speed scoop that Kelly described and the other half is the cash n dash. Here's a picture of the cash n dash feature. Click on image #5:

http://www.nwcorp.com/products/machines/model60/

I never had any Beaver's, so I can't really comment on them other than they are expensive.

Oak's are a good machine at a more reasonable price. But you have to take the lid, globe and body off the stand in order to dump the money in the bag. It's a nice machine to get started with though. You will get a taste for bulk vending and get your ROI quicker. Machines are only a third of the business as you will find out.

Good luck with your business and welcome aboard. :)

Thanks! I really like the Northwesten machines, and it seems Sam's club has a good price on them. Can you explain to me how the cash-n-dash system works? I looked at the pic, but... do you have to take the globe off to get to that plastic tray which houses the quarters?

I have a fleet of Northwesterns and love them. Easier and faster to service. Half of them are the speed scoop that Kelly described and the other half is the cash n dash. Here's a picture of the cash n dash feature. Click on image #5:

http://www.nwcorp.co...chines/model60/

I never had any Beaver's, so I can't really comment on them other than they are expensive.

Oak's are a good machine at a more reasonable price. But you have to take the lid, globe and body off the stand in order to dump the money in the bag. It's a nice machine to get started with though. You will get a taste for bulk vending and get your ROI quicker. Machines are only a third of the business as you will find out.

Good luck with your business and welcome aboard. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome - I appreciate it greatly! :)

WOW a newbie with some sense. Welcome to the best place in town. While I have many different brands in my fleet I like the Northwesterns the best. But I don't have any of those expensive Beavers, but they do have the most versitile coin mech.

Thanks! I really like the Northwesten machines, and it seems Sam's club has a good price on them. Can you explain to me how the cash-n-dash system works? I looked at the pic, but... do you have to take the globe off to get to that plastic tray which houses the quarters?

I like the cash n dash feature more than the speed scoop. It's $10 more but well worth it. It makes it a quick and easy service.

All you have to do is remove the lid and slide the machine straight up. The 2 brackets located in the back act as a guide. Then just remove the coin box and slide the machine back down. What I do is, lift it with my index finger under the coin mech handle. You don't have to remove anything but the lid. You have to unlock the machine that way anyhow. :)

Hi Group,

I am new to vending (as the title of this post would imply), and I am ready to purchase my first machines. I am going to start off slow, as many here suggest. For my first two machines, I am thinking a gumball machine, and a 1" capsule toy machine. I mainly want to stick with toys and gum, in the early stages anyway. As you all know, there are many different machine manufactures out there. I want to buy new, and not used. Nothwestern and Beaver seem to be the top two, but I of course could be wrong. Any advice on a tried and true machine would be great - I am not afraid to pay for quality. Also, how do you get the quarters out of these machines when you service? It seems a bit crude/time consuming to remove the candy globe, and reach in and pick quarters out of the bottom by hand. I assume there is a better way that you will share, such as some sort of "quarter catcher" that can be easily lifted out, and the quarters put in a bag.

Many thanks in advance, I really like this forum a lot, it has been a great resource for me as I was making my mind up to start a small candy vending business. :)

Servicing a Northwestern or a Beaver is quite simple. Unscrew the top cover and remove the entire canister from its spot. You can also remove the bottom plate for removing your money. All this can be done within 3 minutes. After a while you will notice that you will be moving different types of machines from location to location. this is done in order to accomodate the best machine per location. Some of my locations have a high traffic but require a machine such as a Carousel 4-in-1 Vendesign machine, instead of an 8-selection UTurn machine. I have a very, very small Mexican restaurant with a super high traffic of customer and it requires a UTurn 8-selection machine, instead of the Carousel 4-in-1 Vendesign machine. also, your clientely will determine what type of merchandise to use. Adults love nuts, such as Pistachios and Cashews. Children love capsules with toys. DON'T ever place YOUR preferred candy inside of a machine. You can lose money very fast. Put what the customer demands, not what you demand.

Put what the customer demands, not what you demand.

Good post. You had me right up until the last line. You should not be taking product requests. Location requested products rarely sell and you'll wind up losing money and eating the product.

As a business owner, it is up to you to know what products sell and use those. If those products are what the location demands then that's great.

You should stick to a very small number of core items that you are willing to place. You can allow the location to choose from that list but make them aware that the sales have to warrant that product or you're going to swap it out.

Sent using Tapatalk from a phone that's smarter than me.

Archived