An inspiration to us all

caserri

Here is a story I came accross in Automatic Merchandiser. I know we have a few young operators here at VENDiscuss so I thought I would share this. May Russell's story be an inspiration to us all.

Steve

[line]

Russell Rider, 18, owner, Russell's Vending, LLC, Salt Lake City, Utah

EDUCATION: Presently enrolled at Salt Lake Community College

ROLE MODELS: Parents

LONG-TERM GOAL: To keep building the business

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Having to have surgery twice since age 15

OTHER CAREERS CONSIDERED: Aviation

ASPECTS OF THE BUSINESS MOST LIKED: Interacting with people, meeting new people, and having control of your time

Russell Rider is probably the youngest vending owner/operator in the U.S., although if you ask him, he doesn't feel so young. Since the age of 15, he has fought three battles with skin cancer. So far, he has managed to come out on top.

Shortly after his first diagnosis, Rider decided he needed to make the most out of life. Not old enough to drive, he placed a big gumball machine in a restaurant owned by a family friend.

The bulk machine's sales were so brisk that Rider was stunned. He socked away enough money to buy more bulk vending machines, and he went out and got more customers.

As the business grew, Rider had to juggle the norms of high school with his budding business.

By the time he was 16, Rider had graduated from bulk vending to full-line vending. While he was still in high school, his family moved from Waldorf, Md. to Salt Lake City, Utah.

He purchased a used bread delivery truck and outfitted it with shelves and a freezer.

Rider's first snack and soda account was a tire dealership. He currently has 22 customer locations.

His biggest challenge to date has been his age. He has missed out on some opportunities because people didn't think he was old enough to be a vending operator.

Rider said he has always been fascinated by vending machines.

He graduated high school last June and is currently enrolled at Salt Lake Community College in Salt Lake City. He will soon be transferring to University Valley State College to study aviation.

Rider claims his 22 vending locations, which he services in a few hours a week himself, have allowed him to cover much of the cost of his education.

Like his stepfather, a nuclear engineer, Rider is mechanical and has been able to handle most of his repairs himself. He rents 1,600 square feet of space in an industrial park.

One of his best accounts is a race track, which he got almost by accident. A manager at the race track had received his business card and called him.

Rider is particularly excited about the possibilities offered by Automated Vending Technologies, a company that markets a digital video screen on its machines. At the present time, Rider is using that system's USB stick, which enables him to download transaction data from the machine onto a laptop.

Rider is keeping an eye on the remote monitoring technology, but has not yet decided to invest in it.

As if he weren't busy enough with the business and school, Rider also makes time to volunteer for the local police auxiliary.

[line]

that is a grea story, im not tryign to  to say that im any better, but since i was 13 and 14 ive been running a small bulk route on my own, and i didnt have cancer ever, but i think he might have gotten some help considering his step dads a nuclear enginear wihch problaly makes millions, i started wtih nothing and had to build my own empire, just soething to think abou tmuch luck to him tho!!!

thanks

-Benjie

Benjie,

You're doing great & I admire your perseverance. Take some good advice from a 48 year old fart. Keep up the good work, never give up, stay in school & when the time comes, Go To College & Graduate, no matter how good the vending is going.

Doug