A glimpse into the life of a Charity Vendor

ButlersVending

Hello Jax,

Your posting is appropriate, complete, as it touches all of the bases, and consequently the most beneficial to us all: 

• It's well organized
  • Well written
  • Insightful
  • "Fair and Balanced"
What I appreciate most about your response, however, it has exposed me to some concepts which were heretofore either unclear, or just not known. Plus, if the need to use a Charity presents itself to me in the future ... handling it in the manner in which you do, would be the only way that I could do it ... but, I believe that I would be able to do it.

Thanks for taking the time, and giving the effort, to write.

Sincerely, Bob

Hello Jax,

Your posting is appropriate, complete, as it touches all of the bases, and consequently the most beneficial to us all: 

• It's well organized
  • Well written
  • Insightful
  • "Fair and Balanced"
What I appreciate most about your response, however, it has exposed me to some concepts which were heretofore either unclear, or just not known. Plus, if the need to use a Charity presents itself to me in the future ... handling it in the manner in which you do, would be the only way that I could do it ... but, I believe that I would be able to do it.

Thanks for taking the time, and giving the effort, to write.

Sincerely, Bob

Bob- Obviously, you posses a lot of knowledge in the vending biz (as well as life, I'm sure). I, on the other hand, would be considered a "newbie" at this early stage. While I'm sure I can (and probably will) learn from you, it don't mean I have to agree with everything you think/say. But I would like to take the time to say thank you for opening my eyes. You have already taught me something and I truly appreciate it. What you taught me was the importance of "adapting" to a changing climate in this business.

While I will continue to place machines in support of my chosen charity, I have opened my mind a bit and will start with commission (sooner then later) as well. As Jax pointed out, there is no reason I can't do both. I feel certain locations are perfect for charity placements (Doctor's/Dentist offices, Gym's) while others are clearly not. Again, thanks and I bow before your greatness:)

Warmest regards,

Darrin

Hello Darrin,

Once I heard two fellows talking, and one of them commented on the appearance of a woman who had passed their path; he said "That woman sure doesn't have much in the looks department", to which the other replied "Hey, there ain't no such thing as an unattractive woman; it's just happens that some are just a little bit better looking than some of the others".

This is true of us Operators, too. We're all newbies, it's just that some of us are just a little bit newer than some of the others. As for the Charity vs. Commission ... it was said in ancient times that "all roads lead to Rome"; and conversely, those same roads can take the traveller back to his beginnings.

Bob

Thanks All,

A few years ago I would have trashed and given up on charity vending myself. I lost about 20% of my charity locations year after year and got sick of it. When I moved to commission racks, I also realized that there were not enough good commission spots available and will need to displace the current commission vendor to get in - not an easy or pleasant task.

Case in point. I just placed two restaurants last week on charity. Both places really did not want any  more machines.  One place already had videos, spirals and racks. That vendor had an exclusive but my small charity machine was okay with the owner. The other place already had 2 commission machines (since I recognized them from other places) and 1 charity machine. Once again only my charity was able to secure that spot. Will the commission guys try to get me kicked out? Maybe, but it's a risk I am willing to take.

I recently filpped two commission restaurants back to charity. At first I was the lone vendor offering a commission. Then the charity machines started to show up. Now if these spots are very good AND I have an exclusive, I would inform the owner to have them removed. In this case I had no exclusive AND they were below average performers. So rather than fight over pennies, I simply put my charity stickers on the machine and left. Clearly the owner doesn't mind the charity machines and will probably not get upset over not receiving the small commission from just my machine.

I have some sports bars that demand a higher percentage equal to what the amusement vendors offer. You know, those guys that claim to be giving 50%. They say take it or leave it. I take it since that is the only way to get in.

I recently flipped a restaurant to commission. When the new owner approached me and asked me what his cut is, I told him that the charity authorized me to give a commission in certain cases. He soon became less defensive and allowed me to stay. I removed the charity labels. He kicked out the other two charity vendors since they would not offer a commission. Now I am the only bulk vendor there.

One more thing. I believe that charity giving is also cultural. With the diversity in America now, some cultures are more supportive of charities. I found that Americans, Europeans and Hispanics tend to be more supportive of charities. While Asian cultures of Chinese, Arab and Indian are less supportive of charities. This is not a knock on any one race/culture, just a cultural reality I have observed. Case in point, I have never been able to get a Chinese restaurant with charity - only commission gets me in.

I could go on and on. But I have learned that I need to use both methods to get into some places and also need to flip places to salvage the good places or make the below average locations profitable. It can be a tedious process, but it is worth it in the end.

Jax

• Like 1

Jax

I have never worked with charity before (till now I'm 100% COMMISSIONS) but i see that it can be used to get into locations were commission will not get you in. what charity to you like to work with ?

Simon

I use Hugs Not Drugs since I grew up in an alcoholic environment.  However it is a preventative program and not a treatment program.  They offer a free educational workbook intended to educate kids on the dangers of drugs and alcohol addiction. 

http://www.hugsnotdrugs.com/

Jax

Excellent posts:cool:. 

The route I recently bought is a commission's route (have only had charity before) and I am starting to see now the benefits of each as has already been stated much better than I ever could.  It is a bit scary jumping from charity to commission (requires more brain work and time at locations--counting $, writing receipts), but thus far has been rewarding.   Ginger Vend

• Like 1