How soon to service

Larman

I guess i will be the one to go against the grain here.

All of my new locations go on an immediate 30 day cycle. When I first started I would check back in a week or so but quickly realized that it was not needed. I have never had an issue with a machine after just one week whether it be a jam or sell out. Besides, I am way too busy these days for this. I don't know if thats a good thing or not! ;)

Also, in my opinion, a week is just enough time for the location to realize that they just don't want the machine. (charity stops) If they see my face it just might give them the opportunity to say "take it with you". While that has not happened too often for me, it has certainly happened more often than a problem occurring with the machine that needed my attention after a week of placement.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business. You do what makes you feel comfortable. I'm just relating my experience.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve, what you say is very interesting. When we placed our first machines, we were definitely over zealous in our servicing. We stopped back a 2 days, 7 days and 14 days.

This has now changed to a simple 7 day check.

We place triples, and put a small amount of candy in each head (basically a single bag). We have had a couple of locations run low in a week, but that is certainly the exception to the rule.

I'd love to get to the point where I can place a machine and not think about it for a month. Perhaps once we have 100+ machines out there we will :)

Kevin

I have mine on a monthly rotation. Usually the first Monday of the first full week of the month. When I place it I always tell them their next normal service day unless they have a problem and they call me. If I place it in the middle of the month then it would be 2 weeks before I went back. So for me it could be 1-3 weeks before I go back. Right now I am at the max I want to service in a day. If I get this deal on Friday then I may split it up between two days. I have not decided wheather I will do a Monday & Tuesday or every other Monday yet. So unless you have a real good feeling that they will go nuts I think you should let them soak for about a month.

We're just starting and did a one-week check up for the first round. For the next batch of placements we waited a bit longer, realizing that one-week wasn't really necessary. Still, we were anxious to see how it went and there were some surprises, so it was useful and we had a small enough number of machines that it wasn't too much hassle.

Since we only filled half-way, we're glad we checked in less than a month b/c our best location was nearly empty -- $83 in 18 days. Now we know to fill that one all the way so we can make it a full month without returning. Most of the others seem to be good with just filling half-way.

I place the machine and it goes on a monthly schedule.  If I place it a week before the end of the month I still service it at the end of the month.  That way all my machines are kept on schedule and it makes it easier for me when doing my averages, etc.

I guess i will be the one to go against the grain here.

All of my new locations go on an immediate 30 day cycle. When I first started I would check back in a week or so but quickly realized that it was not needed. I have never had an issue with a machine after just one week whether it be a jam or sell out. Besides, I am way too busy these days for this. I don't know if thats a good thing or not! ;)

Also, in my opinion, a week is just enough time for the location to realize that they just don't want the machine. (charity stops) If they see my face it just might give them the opportunity to say "take it with you". While that has not happened too often for me, it has certainly happened more often than a problem occurring with the machine that needed my attention after a week of placement.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business. You do what makes you feel comfortable. I'm just relating my experience.

Steve

I'm with you Steve,  I don't want to see anyone for at least a month, maybe 5 weeks, with DI maybe 6.:dude::dude:

I'm on a monthly schedule too and it is working well so far. I fill my machines a little less than 3/4 full.

The one thing I forgot to do until this month's service was to check all mechs by putting in a quarter. If I had, I would have discovered that my Mike and Ike's were all stuck together, taking quarters but not vending. As it was, an employee told me when I was servicing my machine.

It has been mentioned before on these boards but it bears repeating--check those mechs. I hope other newbies will learn from my newbie mistake.

Barb

• Like 1

I think when you start off in this business you can't wait 30 days to look at your machines and look in the coin tray. I know I did. It's the best feeling you will ever get. With only 2 machines placed, I don't think you have an issue with time as many other with larger areas  and 100's of heads to fill. So, enjoy this special time you have and stop by every week in the beginning. Once the route grows, you will never have this kind of time again.

Good luck on starting your vending business.

Gary

candygirl

You know how to fix those stuck M&I right? For those that don't know you can use Pam spray. Get a good length wooden spoon so you can reach down in there. Now spray it lightly with the Pam and stir a few times. I think others have sprayed the inside of a ziplock bag then dumped them in and mixed them around to get the same effect. I did it everytime I serviced the one account that had them.

It seems that most people have 30 day cycles. I  typically classify locations into fast sellers = 30 days, medium sellers = 45 days, and slow sellers = 60 days. Each of my locations are classified using these categories and I service them according to these classifications.

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 1

On new accounts, I check back every two weeks for the first two months. I initially fill them half way. If they are empty after two weeks, I'll fill them all the way and check back two weeks later.

All my accounts, with the exception of two, are on a monthly cycle. The other two are on a three week cycle because they just don't last a month. It doesn't matter if it's a $10 or $50 account, I service them monthly. Maybe when I expand, I can put the slow movers on a 6-8 week cycle.

On new accounts, I check back every two weeks for the first two months. I initially fill them half way. If they are empty after two weeks, I'll fill them all the way and check back two weeks later.

All my accounts, with the exception of two, are on a monthly cycle. The other two are on a three week cycle because they just don't last a month. It doesn't matter if it's a $10 or $50 account, I service them monthly. Maybe when I expand, I can put the slow movers on a 6-8 week cycle.

Excellent post Craig.  I agree with you totally.  The first month or two is designed to find out how busy the location is.  I am basically still on a monthly schedule with most but will be adjusting to a longer time between starting this month.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a month to six weeks to first check a machine is a good figure (depending on your area).   I would move it to servicing every two months ASAP.  I'm in a very rural area so I can get by with longer times.   My routes are spread out much more as well.  The more you can pop your head in and check your machines the better you will be.  As others have already mentioned, this can head off potential problems and communicates great customer service.

I have noticed with the vendstars you'll often get one cannister which people go ballistic on and it will be empty quickly.  I have "doubled up" candy which is very popular both at the customers request and my suggestion.  This can sometimes help you get by to the next service cycle.

One thing to keep in mind as you grow:  You have to take more into account the costs for you to drive and service your machines (gas prices and personal time costs).  To extend my service cycles I have added additional machines and/or put out larger machines which hold more product.  For my Beaver machines you can order a larger globe which hold about 25% more product.  This has helped me keep high-producing accounts on the same cycle as my regular bread and butter accounts.

I'm also exploring the idea of re-doing all my routes with with sub-cycles.  This would entail having your existing routes you run every 2 months with other routes in the same areas you run monthly as needed.  Some cycles could be adjusted depending on your area.  This has the ability to save TIME as your lower 50% of machines could be serviced less often.  It's a fine line, but as I've adjusted my routes to servicing longer periods of time, I have noticed VERY LITTLE difference with my customers.  No real complaints or losing accounts to speak of.  This could greatly increase your time to market your machines or get involved in other endeavors.

Hope this helps.

Just for your info, we have one vendor who services his machines about every six months and primarily runs Chickles gum and the sweet tarts type candy.  They are very low producing accounts I'm sure.  His machines look ancient and I'm sure they have been paid for dozens of times over.  He has many many machines in my service area.

Mark

• Like 1

Larry, I am with Steve on this one. I'm to going to go against the grain. When I place a new location it is 6 weeks before I see it again. Like Steve said that one week or 2 may be just enough time for them to decided they don't like the machine. Where in a normal rotation they are more likely to get used to it and not think nothing about it. Do what you think best for your situation