Basic Maintenance for soda and snack machines

TeamS

We would like to have more information on cleaning and maintaining soda and snack machines.  How do you learn to do these things?  Is this just something you learn by doing?  Are there any good resources out there for learning how to do this?  What are the basics that we need to know?

We don’t have a route yet, but we have one we are considering buying.  We want to be able to do all of our own maintenance on them but we don’t know where or how to learn to do this.  We don’t even know how to do the basics yet.

Any information you would pass our way would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.  Have a blessed day!

Mrs. Team S

H. A. Franz  has a training class once a month on Wednesday evenings that focuses on these kind of things. One month it will be say, MEI coin mechs the next it could be AP snack machines, these sessions last about 2 hours and are very informative, they even buy the pizza. Its also a great way to network with others in our area.  Tom

P.S. I hope they are still doing it because its been several years since I've been.

http://www.hafranz.com/frame.html

Tom-

FANTASTIC!  I just called and they said the classes aren't once a month any more, but I left a message with the manager.  The person I spoke to said they have classes periodically.

Thank you so much for the info.  This is even better than reading some sort of manual.  :D  I bet there is a lot of value in the networking aspect of it too.  

Have a blessed day!

Mrs. Team S

Hi Tom-

Just wanted to follow up with more info.  HA Franz called back today and they aren't offering monthly classes, but they are going to have a class in the spring.  They are making a list of interested folks and will let us know when the class will be held.

Thanks again for the tip.  I had a great conversation with a gentleman from HA Franz and learned tons.

Have a blessed day!

Mrs. Team S

The class is located at the H A Franz office in Dallas.  I was told by the Dallas office that the Houston branch has classes more regularly.  I have not confirmed this information myself.

Online would be nice!   :)

-Mrs. Team S

Drink machines - Keep the machine appx. 4" off the wall for proper circulation. Keep condenser coils clean. This will extend compressor life.

Regularly wipe out coin acceptor and run cleaning cards thru DBA.

The rechargable handheld vacuum or a 2 gal. shopvac ( unplug refrig. unit  and plug it in at the receptacle using adapter)with a crevice tool should work fine as they have plenty of suction. You can also use a small whisk broom to clean the fins. Try not to bend them and block air flow. Compressed air or CO2 does a good job in the shop but will leave a dusty environment when finished and I'm sure your customers will not appreciate you using those in a breakroom.

The newer Dixie Narco's have the new style condenser coil that you just wipe down every now and then. The flow thru design was introduced to prolong compressor pumps and apparently is a good inovation in the industry.

Tip: You can purchase a Tecumseh AE4440 1/3 HP compressor for these units @ CC Dickson for about $85, change them out yourself if you are proficient in refrigeration and have the equipment. This may save you some maintenance $.

Please remember: Do not let customers push your machine directly against the wall as you need appx. 4 " for proper heat removal from the condenser. They will do it just to save space and they don't know any better, but it will cost the vendor a compressor sooner than later. 

Sorry for such a long post.

Thanks for the information.

I usually put a piece of 2 x 4 behind my machines and tell whoever I'm dealing with why it there. That generally keeps people from pushing it too far back.

Ted

Guys-

This information is so helpful to us.  Thank you so much!  I know it is just basic stuff, but when you are first starting out there is a lot to learn and every little bit helps.

Thank you all again for posting even the basics.

-Mrs. Team S

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...