Making your own pipestands

acvending

I realized that most of the pipestands like the Amerivend seem to be made from standard threaded steel gas line pipe and flanges similar to what is found in the plumbing department at Home Depot. The only part that isn't available there is the actual base. Anyone know where the base can be acquired. Amerivend stands can be had for 25 bucks. If I could make a similar stand for half that it would be worth it. Anyone ever look into this?

Adam, I was wondering the same thing about making your own.  I think they could look Ok if done right. 

I'm in search of bases for sale........

Actually they should look exactly the same assuming a proper base can be had. Only thing is they need to be painted but a can of primer and black gloss rustoleum would make them look perfect. The pipe and flange on the Amerivend and XYZ stands are identical to what is at Home Depot. Not sure if the flange holes already on the flange on the HD ones are in the same position but I am gonna take the Amerivend flange with me to HD to match it and see. Big issue still is the cast iron base. Not sure if this idea is cost effective but figured I'd throw it out there. Probably not worth the aggravation to save what might amount to 10 or 15 bucks though over the AV stands.

Adam, I have been doing some research on this.  The only way that I see it being somewhat cost effective is if you buy the bases on ebay.  I found a few links for some (ending soon) http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Metal-Base-Plates-for-EASY-VEND-Bulk-Candy-Machine_W0QQitemZ370032923264QQihZ024QQcategoryZ50939QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ,but I thought it might just give you an idea of what they're going for on Ebay.  But they are hard to find just by themselves.

Either way, I still think it would be fun to try.  Have you taken on this venture yet?

I have been thinking along the same lines for a while now. When I'm installing fire alarms I see the Fire sprinkler installers use the machine that threads pipe all the time (its the same pipe that is used for pipe stands)  It gets me  thinking about making my own stands. The only hurdle I haven't figured out is an efficient cost effective way to purchase or manufacture a base. If I could figure something out I might start manufacturing / selling bases. I have had the concept in my head for a long time actually but I have the same issue with figuring out the base.

David

hello,

the round base is the hardest for fabrication(thats why they are cast in china) however, the cheapest and fastest way to have a base is to buy 1/4 inch mild steel, cut into 12" x 12" sections...a 4' x 8' sheet = 32 squares, i dont know how your local supply is of this material, however i can buy it ( a sheet as above)  cut for approx for approx $ 265.00. i also make my double plates using 1/4" x 4"  mild steel (it is bought in 20" lengths) and have it cut as well, that runs me about $ 2.80 each plus the pipe and flange = $4.20............the hardest is learning to mig weld the pipe to the base, locally they would charge me $10.00 each...so i learned to weld with a welder at work, thenm bought my own........most of the time i still buy mine from a&a (25-50) @ time to save on freight, which is outrageous..........hope this gives you some insight & help.

willie

Adam, I was wondering the same thing about making your own.  I think they could look Ok if done right. 

I'm in search of bases for sale........

Actually they should look exactly the same assuming a proper base can be had. Only thing is they need to be painted but a can of primer and black gloss rustoleum would make them look perfect. The pipe and flange on the Amerivend and XYZ stands are identical to what is at Home Depot. Not sure if the flange holes already on the flange on the HD ones are in the same position but I am gonna take the Amerivend flange with me to HD to match it and see. Big issue still is the cast iron base. Not sure if this idea is cost effective but figured I'd throw it out there. Probably not worth the aggravation to save what might amount to 10 or 15 bucks though over the AV stands.

I had an issue where I didn't have one of the flanges with me.  They were at home.  It was closer to go to a HD to get a new flange.  Well the holes did not match up.

You now, I am sure a local machine shop could cut a circle out of metal, about 1/2 in thick, 1 foot wide. Buy 2 flanges, weld one to the circle to screw the pole into, and then one from the top. Like magic, a stand!

Kyle

I called a local machine shop about doing such a thing.  Their price was about $75 and they wanted a minimum of 100.

You now, I am sure a local machine shop could cut a circle out of metal, about 1/2 in thick, 1 foot wide. Buy 2 flanges, weld one to the circle to screw the pole into, and then one from the top. Like magic, a stand!

Kyle

I have a simpler idea.  Go to your local sporting good store and check out the 25# weights.  See how much they are, and if they are cost effective, try one of those.  I looked at some once and it looked to me like a 1" or 1/2" pipe could be threaded in to the center hole.  You may need to go to Home Depot and get a tap tool to make the threads, but it may work well.

They might even look good, and might work well and might get you into a "Golds Gym".

Kyle

I have a simpler idea.  Go to your local sporting good store and check out the 25# weights.  See how much they are, and if they are cost effective, try one of those.  I looked at some once and it looked to me like a 1" or 1/2" pipe could be threaded in to the center hole.  You may need to go to Home Depot and get a tap tool to make the threads, but it may work well.

They might even look good, and might work well and might get you into a "Golds Gym".

I just want to say that to me, these are all 'make do' suggestions.  When I was starting out, I found that the cost of shipping the stands was 25% of the cost of a machine, and I tried to find alternatives.  I never found any reasonable alternatives, so the best suggestion I can make now is to don't go cheap trying to spend less.  Just bite the bullet and pay the money. 

Amerivend is the current least expensive place to get vending stands.  I've purchesed large lots of them and I've never had any problems.

Darryl

i love amerivend single stands,

they are alot, 27.00 for some metal

Yeah.  If you notice, the cost of the stand is $12.50, but the cost of shipping is $14.50.  Something is wrong here when the cost of shipping costs more than the product.