Is this deal a no brainer?

novacane

I was out locating this week. I have been in over 50 establishments and noticed Vendstars in at least 10 of them.  A couple of the business owners complained they have not been serviced in a while so I got the # off the back of one of them and called to see if they wanted to sell them

The owners turned out to be an older couple and the husband has been very sick lately from the sound of it. Because of this they have not been able to get to the machines since the week after Christmas.  The wife said she does want to sell them. They have 65 machines on location. She said give her $50 a machine. I said how about $40 and she accepted. I am supposed to meet her Monday to close the deal.

Experienced vendors please tell me why I should not do this. I have read the machine review section and realize many of you hate Vendstars.  I understand that.  The way I am looking at it is worse case scenerio is  there should be $10 average in each machine since we are going on 3 months since they have been emptied. That lowers my cost to $30 a machine and I could sell them on Ebay for that price. I could keep them on location until they produce enough money to buy a higher quality machine and have free locations.

I see this as a no brainer. Is the fact that the machines are Vendstars enough to keep any of you from feeling this is not worth it? 

I think it is a steal. If the machines have not been serviced since Christmas and they haven't taken the money out of them already, than they will pay for them self. You have a great plan. Slowly switch them over to better machines as you grow. Once you do that, you will have a nice vending route.

Nice find. Nice plan.

Gary

I have to reply again to this post with a funny story.

A while back there was a post about abandon vending machines. We talked about what we should do if we come across one. We talked about calling the number on the back and asking the owner if he wants to sell his machine since he doesn't take care of it.

There has been a paint store that I have been in for 7-8 months. It is a great account for me. I got in because the machine that was seating there was empty and not serviced for months. It's funny because it was a 1800 vending machine just like mine. Each month I would go in and collect my quarters and this other machine sat there empty. I asked the store manager if I could replace it with another machine. She would say, "No, he's a nice guy like you, and I just have to call him". I asked a few times and I could see she was getting tired of me asking, so I stopped. Last month I decided to call the number on the back of the machine. I left a message asking him if he wanted to sell the machine he had in the paint store. I said that it has been empty for 8 months and I would take it off his hands.

This month when I stopped in to collect the other machine was filled up again. I had to open my big mouth! Now I am sorry I called him and reminded him that he had a machine there.

Now I will have to see how I do with my new competition. Sometimes you have to know when to leave it alone...

Gary

Hello novacane:

I think it is a nice deal, for that amount is like paying to a locator, plus you are having: location, machine, product and cash.  In worst scenario you can sell the machines at craiglist of ebay and recover your money.  Go for it......

Vendalo.

Other than the fact they are vendstars there is no reason not to. I was reading the machine review forum and it seems like some think only scumbags would own a Vendstar :D

I guess I'm a scumbag then. LOL  That's a great deal and I say go for it. More than likely there will be more than $10 in each machine if it wasn't serviced in three months. That's well below the national average for three months. You could end up getting free machines after you service all of them. Don't worry about them being Vendstars. As you said, you could replace them with a more quality machine later. This will also give you an idea of what product moves in the location not to mention if it will support a triple or not.

If and when you sell the Vendstars on eBay, sell them one at a time. I've been keeping track of that and the single machines go for more than the lots of 4 or more.

There's one more thing you might want to check before you make the deal final. Ask the lady for the route sheet or the addresses of all the locations so you can get a first hand look of the machines and their condition. Venstars are good in locations for adult customers but if any are in where there's alot of kid traffic you might see some that are beat up and broken. Talk to the owners or managers of the locations because they may not want the machine in there any more and then you have a broken machine with no location. After checking them out, then you can make her a final offer.

Not scumbags LOL. Just inexperienced vendors. I think you have made a decent deal. Now go and make something better out of it and reap the rewards !

Craig

You tell me why you should not do it?

Other than the fact they are vendstars there is no reason not to. I was reading the machine review forum and it seems like some think only scumbags would own a Vendstar :D

I have to agree that Vendstars are not the best but some people like them. That is their choice. I have three but I would keep them in a more adult area if possible. I does sound like a good deal if none are kicked out. You may break even the first month so it is a good deal. You should find at least $2000 in the machines if they are decent locations. After that maybe $900+ a month for the route

$900 divided by 65 machines is only $13 average per machine. Very realistic number for any machine. $2000 for 65 machines that were not serviced for three months is only $10 per month. Another realistic number by any standard.