Arizona

Anyone familiar with Arizona regulations related to bulk vending? I've researched my needed licenses permits and tax obligations for nearly a month and it seems like just when I think I understand what I have to do to operate as a legal business someone throws a wrench in the mix.

If I understand correctly at the state level I just have to get a transaction privilege tax license

At the county level they do have a license for "vending machines" but have an exclusion in the code for non-potentially hazardous(time/temperature) vended items.

Then at the city level they require another transaction privilege tax but only if I am classified as retail, however they have a tax exempt food classification based on vending non-potentially hazardous food items that is exempt and doesn't require this license.

Calls to the tax office just caused more confusion because I feel like they don't really understand bulk vending... Or have conflicting classifications.

Any advice is welcome

• 2 months later...

Deverhart, EXACT same problems here. And I can't find any reliable information on the internet also. Very frustrating! I even tried being paired up with a mentor in the industry through sba.gov and they don't have mentors with vending experience. ;( I'd like to do everything legally because I really don't want any problems down the road.

On my route in Phoenix - I had the state level and the city level tax permits. You didnt pay tax to the state level for bulk candy, soda, snacks etc But you did for the bulk toys machines. You did pay the tax for bulk cany, soda etc to the city level. As far as the "vending machines" on the county level - I believe that was for amusements items ie cranes, etc

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone make any progress? We need a state-by-state 'for dummies' guide for starting a bulk candy business. :) They make it complicated and the legalese makes it so you can't understand any literature you find...and every person tells you something different.

Anyone familiar with Arizona regulations related to bulk vending? I've researched my needed licenses permits and tax obligations for nearly a month and it seems like just when I think I understand what I have to do to operate as a legal business someone throws a wrench in the mix.

If I understand correctly at the state level I just have to get a transaction privilege tax license

At the county level they do have a license for "vending machines" but have an exclusion in the code for non-potentially hazardous(time/temperature) vended items.

Then at the city level they require another transaction privilege tax but only if I am classified as retail, however they have a tax exempt food classification based on vending non-potentially hazardous food items that is exempt and doesn't require this license.

Calls to the tax office just caused more confusion because I feel like they don't really understand bulk vending... Or have conflicting classifications.

Any advice is welcome

I got the same info on the county level, but I couldn't find anything for city/state.

You have state tax, but this guy:

On my route in Phoenix - I had the state level and the city level tax permits. You didnt pay tax to the state level for bulk candy, soda, snacks etc But you did for the bulk toys machines. You did pay the tax for bulk cany, soda etc to the city level. As far as the "vending machines" on the county level - I believe that was for amusements items ie cranes, etc

says you don't have to pay state tax.

Now aside from tax, do I need to do any sort of business registration or aqquire any permits?

I just want to try out a few machines to see what I think, and this seems like a lot of work to do so. Especially if I'm going to have to pay for licenses (do I have to pay for the 'tax license' mentioned above?).

Yes AZ charges for each permit

You dont pay sales tax on the STATE level for candy etc but you DO pay on the city level taxes

Keep in mind you need a permit for each city you are in i.e. mesa, gilbert, glendale etc

Yes AZ charges for each permit

You dont pay sales tax on the STATE level for candy etc but you DO pay on the city level taxes

Keep in mind you need a permit for each city you are in i.e. mesa, gilbert, glendale etc

So I have to pay for the state sales tax permit, but then I don't have to actually pay sales tax on it? That's confusing.

I don't suppose you have a site where one could go to register for the permits?

Will I need to display anything on the machines?

you have to have to state level to get your city level and the wholesalers and sams club will want the state level permit number

if you sell toys, (any non-food) you will pay state and city level taxes - food is exempt from state level

you can get the state level at https://www.aztaxes.gov/default.aspx

you can file your DBA or LLC here http://www.azcc.gov/divisions/corporations/

you wont need to display anything on the machines.

you have to have to state level to get your city level and the wholesalers and sams club will want the state level permit number

if you sell toys, (any non-food) you will pay state and city level taxes - food is exempt from state level

you can get the state level at https://www.aztaxes.gov/default.aspx

you can file your DBA or LLC here http://www.azcc.gov/...s/corporations/

you wont need to display anything on the machines.

Well you are super helpful.

I don't see anything on there for a DBA though.

On the tax application, my options are:

1: TPT

2: Withholding/Unemployment Tax

3: Use Tax

4: TPT for Cities ONLY

Which should I be selecting? I'm guessing I want TPT for Cities ONLY? Should I select the others?

I saw this page: http://www.azdor.gov...eSw%3d&tabid=60

Will I have to pay taxes quarterly (or that makes it look like every month...), or can I just do it at year end?

it is easier to just go downtown - (lots faster) If I remeber correctly it is on washington street

You will file and pay every month - after the 1st year they may go quartly - depending on your sales.

think it was the TPT option - and you also select which cities you will do business in - some cities just get thier $$ from the state - glendale, peroria, mesa etc - you have to get a permit from them separatly.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived