DVD & CD Vending Sales

dssd22d

Ok Folks, I'm officially on the DVD rental bandwagon. I went to my local Red Box to check it out and see what it was all about. When I pulled up, there were 5 people in line waiting to rent. When I walked up, I said to the guy in front of me, "Wow, there is a line to rent a movie?" He said "Yeah, it's like this every night of the week, They need more terminals."

By the time I reached the kiosk, there were already 3 people behind me. That makes at least 9 rentals in about 10 minutes! I was flabbergasted!

Steve

Ok Folks, I'm officially on the DVD rental bandwagon. I went to my local Red Box to check it out and see what it was all about. When I pulled up, there were 5 people in line waiting to rent. When I walked up, I said to the guy in front of me, "Wow, there is a line to rent a movie?" He said "Yeah, it's like this every night of the week, They need more terminals."

By the time I reached the kiosk, there were already 3 people behind me. That makes at least 9 rentals in about 10 minutes! I was flabbergasted!

Steve

Steve, what was the location?

Brian

Steve

Steve, what was the location?

Brian

Brian,

It was located outside a gas station.

Steve

With all this talk about DVD rentals, I have been addicted to redbox.  The past week I have rented 4 movies for the grand total of $2 plus tax. I rented the first one with a free code, the next two I paid for, and then I got another free code in my email.  Each time I went, and when my wife went, there was atleast 1-2 people getting DVD's.  One lady got atleast 8 DVD's, I lost count.  One time there was a line atleast 5-6 people.  When can we get some details on these machines?:huh:

But remember we are talking about Red Box here. They only charge $1 per night! What red box is doing is smart. They are going to own the DVD rental market in 2 years and people will be use to using vending machines to buy and rent DVDs then. Then they start to raise prices and start offering memberships for unlimited rentals. It’s a great business model but only works if you have a lot, and I mean a lot of money to put behind it. Most of us can’t spend 10 million dollars a year like Red Box can. They are not making money and will not make money for 2 to 4 years from now and even that is a big risk. I got most of my information from a guy that was servicing a Red Box machine inside a WalMart here in VA so take it for what it is worth.

I think there is room for independants.  Some people are just not going to like redbox, if they do something wrong or not.  I must say, my experience with redbox has been nothing but positive, the run a good operation from a customer service standpoint.   It is not going to be easy money, and you would have to run a tight ship, but I think an independant could do ok if they concentrate 10-15 machines in one area.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love the idea of a strictly dvd machine, one side for sales and one for rentals. I personally think that having one side with nothing but CD's can get a little tricky since there are so many artists with new music and so many different customer tastes. Also, I would think with DVD's if you can stay up on new releases it would greatly effect the profit margn - jmo.

I have never even heard of a DVD machine until today! I am so outta touch:?

• 3 years later...

I am not familiar with the rental model.

However I have produced machines to sell DVDs, CDs and video games.

I have used both Crane machines with SureVend and Azkoyen with iDetect.

$5000 is expensive for a machine, any decent snack machine can be configured to vend these products.

Disney DVDs are quite a good seller and can be bought pretty cheap if you shop around.

CDs aren't a good seller.

Try and source previously used XBox and Playstation games, they are a great seller.

Work on the basis of 100% mark up on all products.

Good luck

• 2 months later...

10 per day is the minimum. You have an investment of about $25,000 riding on the unit and each DVD costs around $25. I see some units doing 50 per day in 7-11 stores in other cities, the best part is it's all automatic and only accepts credit cards - no cash - no worries.

So one machine cost 25k?

So one machine cost 25k?

There is a DVD vending machine for sale close to me and they are asking 34K for it on location. The ad says it holds 250 dvds ... at $25 each just having the machine full of dvd's is a 5K investment it appears.

There is a DVD vending machine for sale close to me and they are asking 34K for it on location. The ad says it holds 250 dvds ... at $25 each just having the machine full of dvd's is a 5K investment it appears.

That is crazy... I dont know much about this. I have been looking at since I read this today. Makes me wonder still.

• 4 months later...

There is a difference in buying a DVD to resell and Buying a DVD to Rent. The licsense that comes with a DVD for resell is from home non-comercial use. The DVD sold for renting is more expensive and comes with the licsense to make money off it by renting.

Redbox is a division of Coinstar and only places machines in national chains. There is another DVD rental "box" in town but the price is avout the same. The only difference is that they get some titles 28 days before Redbox, and you have to return them by 7pm instead of 9pm. Congrats on being able to rent the DVD for the higher price!

Redbox was the reason I cancelled my netflix account. Then they started streaming videos and now I have a Ruku and Netflix stream only for $9 per month and no cable bill. I still rent from the "Boxes" when I want a see a new movie.

EDIT>> I just saw that this post was started in 2008

• 5 months later...

Archived