Feeding the “Elderly�

andyrosen

Ok, I’m 53 Y.O., so to most of you, I’m the elderly!  

Seriously, I placed one of my tri-vends at a beauty salon where 95% of their customers are over age 65, including the manager and staff. Due to the nature of this store, some men come into the shop but mainly women. The shop is adjacent to a trailer/RV park where which is mostly occupied by the AARP crowd, and some come into the shop just to congregate.

We both realized that placing my machine might not be very fruitful. 

Nevertheless, I’m giving it a shot.  What candies do you recommend placing for this demographic?  I’d like to make this experiment a success.   Thanks for your feedback!

Andy

*Moved to Bulk Vending forum*

Andy, I am not sure, but possibly candies that were around a while ago?  Maybe "Good and Plenties", and M&Ms.  I have noticed older people like Licorice and Root-Beer flavored hard candies as well.  If it's possible to get ahold of these style candies, that's what I would go with.

PS: I think this is actually a great opportunity to learn what candies do best with this "crowd" of people.  It could be a great location for you!

Hey Andy,

I would think that older people like the same things as younger people do. I know because I am an older person.

They love chocolate of any kind. They love peanuts, so peanut m&m's would be good. I would stay away from gum balls. One thing I was thinking is they don't like to part with a quarter so make sure your portions are good or they'll never buy again. Good luck with this one. I will be interested in seeing what sells best. Maybe you should ask them what they would like to have.

Gary

Andy,

Since our team has found you these old folk locations I guess I better give my input as well!  My suggestion is go with chocolate covered raisins.  My father is 73 and he loves them and since he is now servicing my route he has begun putting them in machines that attract an older crowd.  Old folks don't chew very much gum, that is one thing I can attest to.  Good luck!

Regards,

Robert Patterson, President

http://www.kickstartlocations.com