The manager asked how many machines I service?

JLM Vending

At the autoshop I gave the manager some samples. Did a little bit of work after that and before i walked out he asked me how many of these i service. I told him. But as i left i started to wonder if his question meant anything. Good, bad? Or am i just thinking too much. I wonder why he would want to know. Does he have a hunch im making money? Does he think my service isn't all that great? See, i just have no idea. I have had that spot a year and now he asks me that. Seemed like he really was curious.

Odds are he is a bright guy and sees something interesting. He wants to learn more about it. I usually end up liking those people and am happy to see them.

Seems like he's a funny asian guy the way he asks questions. Pretty quiet. You can't tell what he's thinking by the look of him. But then while Im servicing he usually asks some kind of question and they are always pretty random. He just asks them out of the blue while im servicing. And by the ways he asks them so suddenly and so subtle, it seems like he's trying to sneak in a question real quick. Can't tell if it's for the sake of it or if he really wants to know. Then i wonder what he's thinking. So curious even after all this time. Seems like he would be too boring of a guy to care, but then always surprises me with a sudden random question. Today he also asked me if PMM is best seller.

Could be getting info to bring his own machines in. Why reinvent the horse when he can find out from you what works best. If it was me I would answer his questions honestly regardless of his intent but I would also work into the answer something along the lines of hard it would be if this was your only location, that only one managed location can often suffer and lose money with spoilage and the higher costs of goods for such a small amount, and tell him how thankful you are of his location and support and your only able to do this because you have so many other great locations and machines that buying in bulk and product rotation to reduce spoilage makes this profitable for you.

Whenever I get this question, I remain pretty vague. "How much money do you make?" gets: "It depends on several factors." "How many machines do you have?" gets: "I have some in the field, and a number in storage." "Where do you get your supplies?" gets: "A variety of sources." I'm never lying to these people, but I really don't like to expose what's going on "behind the curtain" as it were. The only people who know exactly how much my machines are making are the owners and managers I pay commissions out to, and me. I like to keep it that way. But, rdendy is right- the best way to keep a location for a long time is to keep them happy with you and your services- and hinting at repair work or other maintenance is a great way to hold them off from buying their own machines. The absolute last thing an owner/manager wants is ANOTHER piece of equipment to babysit. Use that fact to your advantage.

Archived